Tuesday, July 30, 2013

TMI: Steampunk Ewok Village



Managed to get in a couple games and unveil my Pumping Station Board. I almost wussed out for the second game, being as I got zero sleep the night before, but I'm glad I stuck around. The title? Well, the inspiration for the board started with the Ewok village, then I steampunked it.



Game one was versus Patrick, playing Malifaux 1.5. I thought about pulling out Ramos, since the theme fit his crew, but I just wanted to play old Leveticus. As the game went on, I realised I didn't remember how. We also forgot schemes. The strategy was Gaining Grounds Treasure Hunt. I took Leveticus, Rusty Alyce, Hooded Rider, a Wicked Doll, a Belle, two Necropunks, and a Canine Remains. Patrick took Nicodem, Rafkin, Izamu, a Flesh Construct, a couple Canines, and a Punk Zombie. I deployed Rusty on a second level and moved her up on turn one to get her a better vantage to snipe the treasure. I also placed the Belle on a second level, to my right, giving me full view of the Treasure, and anywhere anyone taking it might try to head. The Necropunks went to either side, Leveticus and Doll slightly left, Rider slightly right. Patrick deployed together slightly to his right of center. I moved the Rider straight up to the platform the Treasure was on, he came after me, but night allowed me to stop his Construct from getting me, and Izamu didn't make range. I ended up letting the Construct live to long in hopes of making it a doll(which I did). It didn't really do anything, besides distract me from Izamu. However, it wouldn't have mattered had I won Initiative, but of course I didn't. I beat on Izamu several times, but heals from Rafkin and such made it mostly a mute point. The rest of the crew was a different matter, however, and I was able to ingest most of it. The game ended early turn five, when Patrick basically decided he couldn't get anywhere. I think that's a win, but he insists its a draw, because neither of us had any points. I say it is a win.

After that, I mostly wandered aimlessly, think I should probably go home to bed, but ended up staying and got "conned" into a game versus Shae. He played his Orks, and we played round one, which is Scouring with King of the Hill Secondary. I didn't play this quite as well as I should have, and it wasn't due as much to my tiredness as my dog chases car syndrome. Also, his Mega Nob squad with Gazgull hits really hard. I got fortune on my second Farseer roll, so I was sitting pretty good. I also had a couple Horrifies, and took Psychic Shriek on both Farseers. An excellent combo that I was just too dumb to use. Had I hit Gaz's squad with it, I could have done more damage in one shooting phase than I did all game. I also went after them at all, when I had a B line down the back of his board to get all of his troops, save the Nob squad.
I started right, sending my council into the far right corner, which he took the bait, and sent a unit of Boys and a unit of Kans after. It took a bit, but I was able to kill both, leaving me free, and facing down his back line, though his troops were a bit far(for normal troops). My Crimson Hunter came in and destroyed Gaz's Battle Wagon, hen the Razorwing dropped ordnance on the unit inside, doing only a little. The next turn, I did the same to the other Battle Wagon full of Boys, but the Razorwing, with help, removed them, this time. I then set up the Council, with Foreboding, to get charged by the Nobs. I of course failed my leadership for Counter Charge, skills. This became a long combat, with my challenge seer and Gaz whiffing, and the Warlock dwindling. Eventually, Gaz won out. I was sitting on a the center on turn five, and only down by a point for Scouring, but it went on, and my force fell further. In the end, I had a minor loss on primary, lose on secondary, and First Blood, giving me four whole points. I purely failed to focus on what I needed to and to use the most appropriate ability. I also, once again, fell for the kill the big baddy temptation. Focus on troops, that is where I am strong. Also leaving the Baron's squad back in the ruins would have put me in a better position versus his Nobs, as I could have used them as bait, while I hunted the remainder of his army. I maintained my record versus Orks, but, hopefully, I am slowly learning and can change things next time.

Probably not.

No comments:

Post a Comment