Monday, December 30, 2013

Its beginning to look a lot like Fantasy


Say what?!? Yep, it is true, I am starting to get back into Warhammer Fantasy. I will pause while you recover.... Good? OK, here we go. So, I have been looking at Ogres for a long time, but my previous group already had an Ogre player and I had gone with Tomb Kings. Well, with my TK losing its flavor and thus my enjoyment, I was looking at them again, off and on. With High Elves and Lizardmen magic being "nerfed"(I am assured it is so) I was looking at them again. When I was asked for Christmas ideas, I seized my chance. The result? A box of Ogres. A modest start, but a start none the less. So I proxied a 800 point list and got a couple games in against Troy on Friday. Of course, I couldn't go a whole weekend with out a game of Malifaux, so I threw down against Troy on Saturday on the Pumping Station board. But, first up, Fantasy.

My list: Bruiser with Gilded Sword(Init 10) 6 Bulls with Ironfists 10 Gnoblars with Trappers 3 Leadbelchers 3 Yetis An Ironblaster I played this list twice against Troy's Lizardmen. The picture above was the second game, but the board was the same. We also played Dawn Attack both times, and I had first turn both times. The first time he ran Skinks with the wizard character, with a couple of the Ankylasaur whatevers. My plan was to use the Gnobblars to block the flanks of my Ogre unit, while the Blaster and Belchers lay down covering fire on the way in. We ended up deployed across the diagonal because of dawn rolls. For the most part, my plan went pretty smooth, the Ogres were able to charge, while the shooting element stayed a little back and laid down fire. The Yetis didn't do a ton, as the skinks they were behind fled the Ogres on the turn they arrived, and ended up out of charge arc. I was able to realign and would have charged the next turn, but the skinks took some more fire, and the game basically ended. I felt it went well, and I enjoyed the game, which has been something I have found hard with my Tomb Kings. I wasn't sure about the Yetis, since they had been less than useful, but still felt they could be good against warmachines and hordes, or just for scare tactics, with a unit in the back field.

We basically reset, same mission, so that I could deploy while Troy rewrote his list. This time he brought a giant unit of Saurus with the Skink wizard and an Old One. This is not technically a legal list, as he doesn't have two units, but I didn't remember until later. The one unit kinda hurt me. It meant that my Gnobblars, who were once again on flank duty, were a waste of 50 pts. I had setup on my right, with the Leadbelchers on the far right, the Ironblaster, Ogres, Gnobblars. His unit jumped in a building, since it blocked his marches, and moved out of it on turn one. My shooting at the building was pretty sub par, and then he stepped out. At this point I can charge with everything, save the Gnobblars and Yeti that had just come in. The Ironblaster and Ogres need a 7, while the Leadbelchers need a 6. I know I should step back and soften him with firing, but as we only had an hour for this game, I decided to charge and just see what would happen. Well, the Ogres failed. The Leadbelchers and Iron Blaster, sadly, did not. This meant my shooting was in combat, while my melee was not. The Leadbelchers got wiped, the Iron Blaster died in the aftermath. He charged my Ogres, who only managed to lose a guy(~4-5 wounds). On my turn, I charged in the Yeti, giving me a much needed bonus to combat. The end result, however, was that my Bruiser died in challenge to the Old One, the Yeti fled, and the Ogres died to being run down. Basically a tabling.

A couple notes on things I had forgotten or learned from the games. I had forgotten that the supporting Monstrous Infantry get up to three attacks. I also need to watch my charge rolls, since 10+ gets me d3 versus one impact hit. Yeti can be useful, and for 130 points, I think they are staying. I wish I had dropped the Trappers and put 25 more points into the Bruiser. One thing I am not sure of is whether I got more enjoyment out of the game because the army fits me better or if, at 800 points, the junk that made it unfun couldn't be included. Only time will tell.


Saturday rolled around, and after work and getting my sister's Christmas present(don't judge me), I headed up to Hobby Town. Troy wanted try out Dreamer, so I brought out a new Tara drop list. Our strategy was Turf War. I took Power Ritual and Protect Territory, both hidden, while he took Make Them Suffer and Bodyguard on the Widow Weaver, also both hidden. My list was Tara with Obliteration Symbiote, Knowledge of Eternity, and Dead of Winter, a Malifaux Child, two Death Marshals, three Void Wretched, and four Abominations. He took Dreamer with Dreams of Pain, Pact, and Other Worldly, Widow Weaver with On Dreaming Wings, a Stitched, Teddy, Coppelius, and three Day Dreams. On turn one, Dreamer summons a Lelu and a Lillitu, heals both, and moves Coppelius behind a smoke stack and Stitched up beside the platform. I use the Aboms ability to make each other draw cards. He uses Lillitu to pull an Abomination forward, I Pine Box it in, then target the Child to drop it back out, because I misread the range of the form up and thought it was 1" not 2". Ah, well, I was able to get another card instead of moving. Anyway, they form up into the DE, and the Child uses Tara's spell to give them fast(removing slow) and bury them. Tara brings the Engine back out and it kills Lelu and then charges off after Lillitu.

On turn two, Tara pulls the DE back out and resends him back in. The DE kills Coppelius, pulses to death the Stitched(even past its reactivate), and brings Lillitu down to two wounds. Troy lays into the DE with much of his force, but doesn't fully kill it. The Malifaux Child heals it, but then I try and shoot into combat with the DM and knock it all the way back down. On turn three, the DE kills an Alp and wounds another for three, moving back up to eight wounds. The Widow Weaver hits Tara with Poison 5 and Paralyze. On turn four, the DE kills Teddy. I then realize I can kill the Dreamer and Chompy doesn't come out any more. Lillitu Lures Tara twice, and Lelu Pounces on her twice, and she is no more. At this point, I don't need really need her, so the sacrifice is worth it. Dreamer brings out Chompy, who kills the Malifaux Child. Lillitu pulls a Void Wretch off of the top and kills him from the fall. If the game ends, its a nine all draw. It continues. This turn was some small maneuvering, grabbing last minute points, and stupid Dreamer popping out of Chompy and zipping across the board to delete one of my Power Ritual markers, keeping me at nine, while Troy moved up to ten with another minion kill. The game ends with both of getting four for Turf War, I grabbed two for Power Ritual and three for Protect Territory, Troy grabbed full Bodyguard and full Make Them Suffer. A really close game, with more points scored than I have ever seen scored in a second edition game(technically any Malifaux game, since the last version topped at eight VP). Some things I took from this: The card thing from the Aboms is only useful if you don't draw 13, 12, 12, 11, 11, 2. It was the perfect hand. A 13, 10 for initiative let me know my deck was pretty dry. The Malifaux Child is in fact awesome in a Tara crew. That one extra Pull the Void each turn, even though it needs a 10, is freaking awesome. He may make it into all my lists. Of course I said the same thing about the Hodgepodge Effigy. The Desolation Engine performer really well. Far better than ever before. I think part of it was that, on the turn that he was the closest to dying, I buried him, the Wretches did nothing, but when something died, the Child smoked his healing, and kept the Engine going. I really like the list, but it did show that it can be easily disrupted if I take to long to to combine and the opponent is able to throw a wrench.

And now I am going to say something that I never thought I would... I need to pick up a Malifaux Child.

No comments:

Post a Comment