Sunday, January 19, 2014

Elite killer gets killed


I managed to squeak in a game against Troy today. He is still testing out his new Nids book and I am still failing with my Night Lords against them. Read on to bask in my pain.

Ok, so pain may be a bit of an exaggeration. It was a good game, with me clawing on until then end. After the last game, I had done some thinking and decided that reserving my Daemon Princes may be the best option against his force without first turn. Now, I am thinking it may be the best option, period. As it was, I sent my DPs across the board, he Vector struck the Warlord, getting a total of 10 strikes from three models. And that was with the last one rolling a one. The first fly over managed to do 3 wounds, so I was pretty sure that DP was toast. However, the other attacks did nothing, and it was a stupid grounding check that finished him off. The other DP also went down turn 1. I did manage to move my Rhinos fairly far across the board. On turn two, one of my Heldrakes failed to come on. I'm gonna ruin the suspense, it didn't come on until four again. That's not terribly good for me. My Cultists did come on, and Troy promptly forgot of their existence... Awesome. He later remembered, after asking about my reserves, so it didn't help much. My Chosen did damage, moving around the board and using the Rhinos to block roads, LoS, and objectives. I wasn't as efficient as I could have been, I just haven't been playing enough lately.


In the end, I only manage to kill the Zoanthropes and the Crone, which was Fast Attack, so that gave me a point. I did damage to his Warriors and the Venomthropes, but nothing really significant, maybe one squad of Warriors. The important part is I kept him in back while I could control the middle and the objectives. However, it was not to be. My rolls were less than spectacular, and I just couldn't survive the grind. On turn 5 I had a minor loss, but turn 6 saw me tabled.

I did take away a couple things to think about for my Chaos army, not the least of which is reserving my DPs and moving away from Biomancy, which just doesn't seem to help. I wonder what Nurgle would do for my DPs in this case. I may have to try it in a rematch. As it is, I am going to play some games with Troy later today, though he asked me to bring a Tau list for him to test. The one I am bringing isn't completely optimized, no Riptide, but it does have plenty of punch, including a caddy and two three man Broadside unit. It may be time for me to return to the Tau, and shelve the Night Lords for now. Especially since they aren't really progressing right now anyway. Then I can focus on the Ogres. Who knows? I guess only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment