Monday, December 8, 2014

Two leagues finished strong

The Nazca finish the Drop Zone league on a win, and Taelor and Nothing do the same. I played my final games for both leagues over the weekend, and managed to win both. And, I think to a degree, crush my opponents' hopes and dreams. But I'm just awesome like that.

Saturday I played my Shaltari list versus Shea and his PHR. Having gotten a couple of games versus non-PHR, I went into this one fresh. We played the objective mission from book two, five objectives, in hardened buildings, edge roll on deployment. I walked a good portion of my force on, with just the Braves, a couple Havens, and the Tarantulas gating on. The buildings were past the quarter line, though Shea kept moving them back towards the edges. I am not 100% sure his ever got dropped beyond, but it matters little. He did do an excellent job of demonstrating why light dropships are so awesome. While I had to wait for turn two to get into my buildings, he was able to jump in on one, which put me a turn behind. As such, he easily snagged the first points. I did manage to jump on his guys in the back left, hoping to lock them in CQB, but he had enough squads to extricate one with his objective. The building to the left on his side took too long to search, and was at 3 Dp left when he evacuated empty handed. My Tarantulas threw down some awesome, one shotting his Zues, due to a single missed passive and a double damage on the backwards Tarantula chart. His bodyguard Hyperion was hidden behind a building, ao I could barely get a shot on it, and he couldn't pass the hit.

I spent most of the game failing to find objectives, getting the one on my right on turn four. With the one on my left empty, the center one extremely well hidden, and the third building I had infantry a drawn out CQB with no objective left, I was a little worried. I also was having trouble getting shots on his force with a giant building in the center blocking my movement and LoS.

On turn five I forgot to bring my infantry into the final building on my side, so was limited to the center building versus a tied game. He had taken two of my Edens and most of my Kukris. I had done some damage, taking out a unit of Phobos and his Command. I think kill points wise, it would be very close. Shea tends to focus on Kill Points over objectives, but my miserable rolls had relegated me to thinking about a tie scenario. However, at the beginning of 6, I finally found the objective in the center, and just held it, gaining me a 1 point win, and we basically called it there. A rough game, and one I don't think Shea took well. He gave me a run, but he has zero wins for the league and so is rather bummed on the whole deal. We had a lengthy talk about what he can do in the future, and I hope it helps him and he continues to play. The tournament is next weekend, and then its back to whatever game floats everyone's boat.

On Sunday, I had time for a single game, and Russ was ready if not completely willing. I had decided to go back to my Taelor with Scout the Field and Oathkeeper, The Nothing Beast with Void Shield, and two Void Wretches list. It had done will for me week one, and I hoped to do well this week. We had Squatter's and Plant Evidence. He ran Hopkins, Witchling Handler, and two Witchlings. I don't know upgrades. I moved Taelor forward, and he shot her some, then she discarded Oathkeeper and charged Samual. The Nothing beast moved onto his Witchling and Handler, using casting expert to hit the Handler, and smacked her to one wound and Buried her. As she was his last activation, it went back to me, and my final Wretch smote her in the void. In hindsight a mistake, as this cost me a point in the game, and she wasn't going anywhere. Turn two The Nothing Beast hit the Stalker next to him. and managed to kill him, then move onto the other Stalker. The Void Wretch activated a marker, making it one and one, so no points, while the other one just moved into position. Taelor and Samual traded blows, both burning stones. One three I Red Jokered the Stalker, and did the same with Taelor on Samual the following turn. This meant the game went 6-0 to me. Russ is in a similar position as Shea, and I don't think my tabling him sat well with him. I didn't overly enjoy the game, not because of Russ, but because the cards felt very one sided. I was just able to walk over his crew. In the end it was an anticlimactic 20 minute game. It meant I was out just in time to get my kids and head to a birthday party, but otherwise it was rather rough.

So, a weekend of crushing spirits behind me, I get to run a DzC tourney and then actually play in a Malifaux one this weekend. Definitely looking forward to the second one. Until then, happy gaming.

No comments:

Post a Comment