Monday, February 21, 2011

Genghis 2011: Day 3

Finally, time to play Fantasy. The reason I come to these thing. My first choice in tournaments. Likely the only tournament I will be going to at Tacticon. The 3 full days thing, no thanks. I also want to run Malifaux, and get some classes in.
Any who, why your here, the games.


Game 1: Enter the Jerk
Not my best showing ever. I showed up in good spirits, set up my standard deployment, went almost straight into a disagreement on whether the Casket can be seen through a unit. TO called, ruled against me, leaving my Casket completely blocked and useless. Try to move my archers out of the way, they get stuck when he stops my magic, leaving them stranded with an exposed flank. At this point, I am a total jerk. Not enough sleep, my ENTIRE game plan wrecked, a lose without even a fight. Finally, in turn 3, I see myself. I had to apologise to my opponent. He was playing well, and putting up with my shit amazingly. I stopped, took a breath, and continued playing the GAME, while his Orcs and Goblins ate me. I later felt compelled to talk to the TO and get the guy extra sportsman, because he deserved it. I also apologised to the TO, as he was involved, I felt I owed him one as well.

Game 2: High Elves
I get to play Mike Nabors from the club. When I saw who I was playing, I almost immediately tried to get another opponent. Not because Mike sucks to play, but because I play him often. I asked Tony, who ran the 40K Tournament, but he had played on the table the first game, so I didn't want to move him over. I asked the guy on the other side if he would switch, and he wishy washed, until I finally told him its OK to say no, and then actually said no for him. Neither of their opponents had arrived, so I said screw it, lets just play. Probably not the best strategic idea on my part. Nabors is not the best player in our group, but he does know my army, he does play Life magic, and he knows what to hit with it. What do you know, Dwellers. What do you know, he targets my Casket. What do you know, another lose. In the end, we didn't even add up points. I can't remember if I even got any bonus points. I'm on a roll. I did win a Daemon Prince box in a roll off. Only thing my dice did all game.

Game 3: Warriors of Chaos
Its Ian!The guy I played first in the 40K, is also the guy I played last in Fantasy. Good guy, good game. I managed to play a lot better this game, keeping my head. It was on the table from game one, the one he played one game two. I didn't feel like the hassle, especially after failing a similar hassle on game two. So we started, I took the same side I did first game. I was going to beat this dang thing with the approved deployment. I used a hill for my casket, swarms for protection, and had my archers about where they started the first game. My Horse flanked and headed for his Hellfire Cannon. The game went well, I managed to hold my own a lot better. It was the first game all weekend that I didn't go first in. He was of course playing a high armour army, the likes of which my army struggles to deal with. But, I pushed on. In the end he won buy around 800 points, which left it only a minor lose for me. The best I did all weekend. Ian is great to play against, and got my best sportsman choice again.

All in all, I enjoyed the weekend. No really AWESOME games, but I didn't get that terrible game I had at Tacticon. Slow, though. I managed to finish all my 40K games, but I just couldn't push them through in Fantasy. I don't think I'm alone in this, as the last game, time got extended, and still plenty of tables were rolling when it was finally called. I came away with a sweet Khorne Lord and a Daemon Prince box to go with the Noise Marines from the Iron Man, giving me my Slaanesh contingent. My painting wasn't as high as I would have liked. I didn't get the points I thought I should have on conversions. I think my conversions are either to good(don't look conversions) or to bland, either way they just aren't getting noticed. Not real sure how to improve this, but I will work on it.
Well, that's basically my weekend. I did get a paint and take mini, and Michael and James helped me on it, and the improvement is huge. They both took paint classes, and I definitely need to take some of these.

CW, rollin' dice.

No comments:

Post a Comment