Sunday, February 20, 2011

Ghengis Con 2011 Day 2

Well, things did not go as well for me today. I managed one win, a lose, and a really bad lose. I did manage to get 40 of 46 points on my painting, so that was good. In the end I pulled a 46th place out of almost 70.

Game 3 was a massacre. I was eaten alive. A lose with 0 victory points pretty much undid the previous days work. It was against a Khan, dual Landraider, Razor spam list. It did not go well. I failed to cast Wind of Chaos when my Daemon Prince dropped in, behind his nicely lined up tanks. I was unable to crack his Landraiders, or even his two Land Speeders for the fast attack slot bonus points. In the end, I was futilely trying to get one Thousand Unit to contest a table quarter, while my other hid in the corner for 2 bonus points for table quarters. Having most of his army still on the table at the end, they piled fire on the contesting unit, then assaulted it, then it was gone. Didn't even add up victory point, or kill points for the secondary. He beat me, and he beat me soundly.
Game 4, Space Marines again. This was my only win for the day. I played this one well. I was able to wipe his scout squad off the table early, and hold up his HQs and Sternguard on that side, which meant two objectives went unclaimed. The center of the board was mine. Between a Thousand Sons squad on the forward objective, and a lesser Daemon one on the rear objective, he never came close enough to do me any harm. The left was where everything played out. I never touched the forward objective, but with the center two, and the right untouched, I was content to control/contest the rear objective. Although, I was quite happy to be the only one controlling an objective. To that end, I proceeded to wipe out a tactical squad, which had fled, then returned and ran to get back on the rear objective. In doing so I ignored another Tactical squad in a Rhino, that tried and failed to kill my Thousand Sons that were contesting the rear objective against it. It wouldn't have mattered, as my Rhino was also contesting, and even if neither had been there, I would still have won two objectives to one. My opponent tested me the whole game, and that was even with his girl friend right there.
Game 5 was against... you guessed it Space Marines. This guy started the game by asking me if it would be cool if we used my dice, cause it would be easier. I, of course, declined. He almost listened. He didn't have a scatter dice, he didn't even have his codex, had to borrow one from the guy I played second round. I now believe it was his evil plan to get a win by annoying me into submission. The more I played, the more I wanted the game to end. He didn't have his own list, and he needed one. He seemed to know almost nothing about his list, and constantly had to look it up. Myself, knowing near nothing of his list, spent a good amount of time trying to find his list from where he placed it. Honestly, I can't really remember the game, but I remember the opponent, and that's not a good thing.

Wrap up: Well, with the games over, I asked the TO what they wanted done with the terrain. Standard sort of deal to help clean up when things are done, right? Well, it wouldn't seem so. I was the ONLY one who even bothered to move terrain to the end of the table. I went ahead and broke down most of the tables, though my packing wasn't quite what the terrains' owner would have liked, as he repacked some of it. Whatever, by that time I was so pissed that nobody else helped, I just walked. That's right, everyone else sucks, so screw you TO. In hind sight, maybe not the best reasoning, but most of the tables were done by then.
As for the results, I ended up 46th out of 70ish(can't remember exact total). I had a record of 2-2-1, better than my previous 1-2-0, but I would like to see it improve. My painting was 40 out of 46, which I feel pretty good with. A 46 out of 46 would be awesome, so I am working that way. They gave out the painting sheets, so I can see exactly what I need to improve upon. The event was well run, prize support was still lacking, BUT they now have GW Sanctioning, so that should improve greatly. I'm not a huge fan of the 2 day event, it destroys the weekend. I did nothing but play, and got nearly nothing to show for it. None of the games were really that great, where previously, I had games that were just great, even though getting tromped. I think I need to lose my first game, just to get me on the right track. Winning the first game sends me to the midfield, which is all Space Marines. Unfortunately, the first mission is kill points, which is my best mission, so... Ah, well.
I chose Ian, the Necron player from game one, as my favourite opponent. Great guy, even after the eighth recount showed him from a win to a lose.

Well, I'm off to roll some dice. CW out.

No comments:

Post a Comment