Monday, August 22, 2011

A tournament and a painting competition


I participated in my first tournament as a player on Saturday. It was awesome, I really enjoyed myself. In proper fashion, I forgot to take any pictures, I know, why do you even come here. However, I did run a rather small painting competition. The winner John, pictured above, painted a Mature Nephilum on a pretty awesome base. I wasn't able to get any shots, but I will do an update in a few weeks when I can make it back.
I know you all want to know how my games went, or not, so that after the break.

Game 1 was against the eventual tournament winner. It was Destroy the Evidence. Going in I knew it was a strategy better suited for the Viks, but it was against Hoffman and I really wanted to test Leviticus. In hindsight, I think it is a game Leviticus can win, but a strategy he can complete. The plan in this game should have been to get my schemes, ignore the strategy, and stop him from getting his schemes. I can't stop my opponent from getting the middle objective, I CAN stop them getting their other 3. I did this, but I wasted my Desolation Engine, when I should have used him to circle to the back. I hand Stake a Claim on the terrain I had placed my objective in, meaning it was a 4 point piece. This is where the engine should have gone. As it was I had an acceptable 2-3 lose, which would have kept me in it, but I went for a slim chance to cost him Bodyguard, which left Rusty Alice exposed for his Grudge. Looking back, I don't think she died to melee, which would negate his points. In the end I don't think it would have mattered, as he won first by 5 points, and the 2 extra disparity points would have road me for third, by the accumulation tie breaker would have left me in fourth anyway. Pairings would have changed possibly.
Round 2 was against Tim. Tim is new and playing someone else's Somer crew. My problem in this game was speed. I chose Soulless Life as my scheme, which means I need a minimum of 4 turns to get it, and I have to thank Tim for turning it on when I confessed concern to a friend. In the end I took my max points which was 6, due to a lack of significant models and Reconoiter, though another turn would have seen another Desolation and 1 more point, but I was happy with the outcome. Tim had Gather Sousltones and held onto them like a meiser, so only a 4 point win, putting me up a point.
Round 3 was a rematch from a couple weeks earlier, when I visited the guys in Parker. Albert was again playing Seamus, but this time Leveticus came to play. It was another enjoyable game, like the one before, but it leaned my direction this time. I did let slip that I didn't want my SPA's aura to kill the canine I had grudge on, so the next turn Albert insured it happened. CURSES. In the end, I iced a newly summoned belle off the Claim Jump, and blocked Seamus from it with a pair of SPAs. Alice and a Waif jumped on it Leveticus did some just gonna die stuff to drop onto it. Another turn here would have seen Seamus dead for Bodyguard, but a 4-2 win works for me.
All in all, I felt it was a good showing, and Leveticus is here to stay. I think a little better knowledge going in and I could have won with Leveticus on all 3 games, just not by huge margins. I need to also work on speed, which will come with experience.
I hope to sneak in a game this weekend. The week after is Tacticon, but I will be hunting for opponents on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment