Wednesday, September 21, 2011

State of the 'faux


Been a little bit, so I thought I would throw up a quick update. After my painting class at Tacticon, I thought I should finally put my hand in on some blending. The hooded rider you see above is exactly that. I blended almost everything. I really like how the muscle turned out. I used pallette spectrum blending, and I think I have the hang of it. Now I have to blend all my single models now.
I also played my first game with my first rider. I have no idea how I like him. It was a game against Jay's Rasputina. He ran Rasputina, dual silent ones, 3 gaming, and a cerebus. I danced my SPAs forward, formed a Desolation Engine, and kinda sat in the open. Turn 2, my engine killed a silent one, then died, followed by the 2 SPAs, while the rest of my crew moved up. Jay, of course, stepped way back into the left corner, away from my stuff. A quick look at the table told me that Jay was gonna hide, I had a Belle on each flank, Leviticus and his Waife in the center of my edge, and the rider towards the center, behind trees. With the Viktorias, I would have to try and find a way to crack that shell, though I'm not sure I could have pushed him back so easily. However, I'm play Leveticus, its Reconnoitre, I have soulless life and exterminate constructs, I can play this game. So I do. Leveticus sits in the back blessing the waife, and using death's lesson to insure she kills him, creating a SPA, which will combine on 6 to create a new engine. Both Belles hide behind trees, and the rider sits near the center to take on Cerebus should he hunt my right bells. Meanwhile, Jay decides to move his crew up the left side. With my belle over there hidden, my engine coming from that side, and being right in Leveticus's threat zone, I'm none to worried, heck I may even get exterminate, which I wrote off. I think Jay is seeing he may have held back to long, but maybe not. Then he moves his Cerebus towards my right Belle, here it is, the rider moves up, I don't think he is in range, but still hoping, making sure I am getting as close as possible. The whole time Jay is watching me like a hawk, I say something, he says something, I point out it won't make and prove its a inch short. He said something about just a fun game, I said he never played one, and its over. He got all hurt, we had a discussion about the definition of a "fun game", and I spend the rest of the day watching John vs Other John play Collette vs McMourning. It was a pretty interesting game, both guys new to the game, I think I am going to try and snag one or the other for a game this Sunday.

5 comments:

  1. Your rider looks amazing, really great job on the blending! I'm still working on finding my happy place with painting human flesh, let alone moving on to muscle tissue! Still, I can draw inspiration from your rider's paint job for my Doppleganger, since the most eye striking place is the fleshy parts of her/it's back. Looking forward to seeing it in person...maybe even getting a game in with you for a change. We'll see what fate has to say...cheers! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. There isn't really any difference between skin and muscle paint wise, it's just color. The best way I have found to paint flesh quickly is base coat with you mid tone, then push your shade into the crevices and add your highlight to the raised areas, sometimes a second highlight might be added. My skin colors are usually GW foundation Tallarn Flesh for my base. I then mix scab red and tallarn for the shade and pallid flesh for the highlight and more pallid or pure pallid for second highlight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, he looks awesome :)

    Any way we could get a close-up? I'm personally trying to learn some blending, though it's trying my patience a little bit. Though I care about having a good-looking army, I don't know if I'm cut out to paint 6 hours per model.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Way to be on the comments for my own blog!
    Anywho, I would never recommend an army this way. Key piece models, sure. This guy took around 15 hours.
    Genghis should have blending class, though I bet you will be busy with tournies. Michael Shatter from the Knights of the Gaming Table taught me first. But you will have to enter Hobby Town.

    ReplyDelete