Thursday, September 15, 2011

Tacticon day 2

IMAG0103
Ok, so this should have been posted WAY earlier, but who was gonna read it anyway ;-)
IMAG0102
K, so day 2 of the 40K tourney, I am sitting 1 draw 1 lose. Not sitting pretty, 20 points, I think I'm running 2nd of the 3 guys from the store. I enjoyed both of my day 1 games, and both were against an army I had never played. Day 2 started facing Chaos, the army I play. Interesting. He is running 1 squad of oblits, defiler, a unit of noise, another of plague, 2 units of marines, landraider with kharne and some berserkers. I think I had this in the bag from the start. I played well, killed what I needed to, its a favorable match up, and he held his defiler in the back for fear of the oblits. Drew C&C, I won everything else. Great opponent, great game.

Game 4, versus vanilla marines, and here the fun ends. Dual landraiders with termies, razor spam. Went almost all reserve, deploying a single devestator squad, or rather half of it. First turn I wipe the devs off the table, second turn his razors come in, raiders do not. This is good for me, if I can take them out, I can take my time on the landraiders. Immobilise one, stun the other that flanked, the one that came in his edge just sits there the whole game. Spend the rest of the game much the same way. Turn 5 is a draw, 6 I'm hanging on, but of course it goes to 7 and I get tabled. Not a good opponent, argued everything, I was wrong once. Apparently he had a history at the old store of being a not so fun opponent.
IMAG0104
IMAG0105
Game 5, versus Nids. He is running horde, hormagaunts, termagaunts, ravenors, terranifex, 3 single zoanthropes, hive tyrant. Lots to kill, likely more than I could. The main problem was that I had never seen ravenors ran effectively. I think some better target priority there would have helped, they are what beat me. Everything else I dealt with or hit me late enough to just be a nuissance. Also, not a real enjoyable game, and tabled me top of 5.

At this point I was kinda in a grumpy mood, and since I was already planning Malifaux at Genghis Con, not planning to be back I'm February. With wrecking crew running things, I don't think I will be alone. WOO, more people for Malifaux.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I just found your blog! This is Adam Tricola, the dude you played in Round 2! I haven't gotten around to posting up my own tournament report (albeit that it's been almost 2 months now), I sort of took a hiatus on the blogging for a while, since I wasn't enjoying it :-p

    Anyways, it was great fun that we could play, you were a great opponent, and I hate to say it, that's a little bit rare at Tactic/Genghis con. Probably my personal favorite game of the 5, despite the rock/scissor nature of our lists. :)

    Your Game 4 was against my pal Vince. Don't worry, I won't tell him about this post - no need to stir the pot and get e-drama going :-p

    He's actually a pretty nice guy, though he *is* a little bit of a hard-ass on the table, especially during tournaments. It's a sort of Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde sort of thing - outside the table he's super laid back, at the table, if you aren't prepared for what's coming, you don't have a good time. So, I don't blame you at all for what you're saying - your story pretty much matches up to his personality. Sorry you didn't have fun though :(

    Nice read though, sorry it was a rough tournament. Did you say you're going to be running a Malifaux tournament? I just started Perdita (who doesn't like cowboy chicks with huge... guns :-o ) and would be interested, especially if the 40k is only a 3-game affair this year instead of a GT (5-game).

    Alright, gotta go write a paper for school, I'll be checking in here every once in a while :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. Thanks.
    Yeah, I've seen him outside of games and he didn't seem like a bad guy. I find that Tacticon/Genghiscon games get worse as the day progresses. Mostly as I move towards the bottom tables. Which always strikes me as odd, as neither of us is going to win anything.
    Ah well. I check your blog as well, and knew who you were when I walked up.
    I am running a pair of Malifaux events at Genghiscon. A intro event on Friday and a tournament on Sunday. I'm sure I'll see you around.

    ReplyDelete