Friday, December 16, 2011

State of the Tau


I know, I know, what kind of broken trash, WAAC player brings Tau to the table. I know you all come here to get easy going, just for fun gaming. But hey, I like to win, too! Alright, joking aside, I know that my plethora of readers are all imaginary, but it is time to dust off my Tau. It's been a while, I picked up CSM, won a bit with them. Lost a bunch of tourney games with them, stupid anti-meta club meta. Dabbled in Eldar. Realised Eldar are the Tau without the shooty, but faster. And getting some games in before the new 'dex drops and ruins my day couldn't hurt.
Anyway, on to the actual topic.

I have been itching to play Tau for a bit, but haven't found the gumption to actually pull them out for more than a random game on a blue moon. With the recent talk of Tau standing a chance against GKs, I started thinking. My meta for, well, ever has always been versus foot space marines and variants. Some 'Nids, a bit of sisters, but mostly Space Marines and Space Wolves. My CSM list eats these for breakfast. My bane is heavy mech. I seldom play heavy mech. The closest is a Space Marine list with a vin, two preds, and two razors, not exactly a tough cookie, especially with the amount of troops he has on the ground. I have very little trouble winning with my CSM dual powers list. It is what it was built for. It is why I leave it at home, its a bad play experience. But then I go to tournaments and get waffle stomped, why? Bad match ups. Just poor luck I guess. At least that's what I'm being told. I think its a bad list. It does what I designed it to do very well, usually too well. My problem is bad match ups, I agree, but I think my list is designed to be matched badly in the tournament meta in my area.
Solution? Well, my CSM match badly in the tournaments, but well in the club. Tau have a rough time in my usual playing group, but what would they do in the tourney scene? I have seen Tau at tournies, and they don't seem to do well, but they don't run what I run. I have always been strong with Tau, I think. The problem I had was my tricks became predictable versus my usual opponents, but tournaments are all new people, they don't know my tricks.
I have also inherited six broadsides, I used to only have one. I am currently trying them instead of my usual hammerheads, so far so good. I expect to go back to having rough games versus the normal crew, but that should help me get back up to speed.
What's the plan going forward? Genghiscon! That's right, ~60 days to get up to speed, patch up my models, and finish painting models I've had to close to 10 years. Oh, plus all the Malifaux stuff I need to get done. Piece of cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment