Monday, January 23, 2012

State of the 'faux


I ran my first tournament on all the terrain I have been working on for the last couple months. It isn't important that I only needed half of the tables I have finished so far. It went well, I met a new player, talked into some broken Neberborn models for his Pandora crew, I saw a friend I haven't seen in a while, and I gave away a (unpainted) Sue model.(I know, slacking, but I have a lot to finish by Genghiscon)


With only two players showing, it was short and sweet. And with a new player who still has the 'must kill you' wargamer mentality, it ended up being kinda ugly, too. It was Sonnia versus Pandora, the strategy was Plant Evidence. The Lady J player chose Raid and Breakthrough. The Pandora player chose Reclaim Malifaux and Hold Out. It should have been Pandora's game to win, with her crazy movement. But experience showed. It also didn't help that the Sonnia's player's main opponent plays Pandora. The Pandora player all but ignored the Strategy or his schemes. All he seemed to want to do was kill Sonnia. Not an easy prospect, especially using spells. Even after I pointed out what he should do to sorta save the game. I know, very taboo for a TO, but at that point he couldn't win, and, as there were only two players, points didn't matter.
In the end, the Sonnia player took home Sue, and the Pandora player picked up the Twins. I hope he learned some things, but I'm afraid the whole ignore killing thing didn't come across.
Afterwards, I played the Sonnia player who instead played Lady J. I of course played Leviticus. I know against Guild play Viks, I'm weak, what can I say. I also changed my plan and dropped Rusty Alice for the Hooded Rider. There is a reason to my madness. The Pandora player's Hooded Rider didn't do much, and I wanted him to see. He, of course, wandered off, not that it mattered, mine died, too. Instead of sticking to my hold the fort and send my crooligans forward to take Turf War, I send stuff forward to try and kill Lady J, not Lucius for Kill Protege or because I know he will be a thorn. Of course, she is out of range, so I waffle, kill a dog, get a Waife, and start the next turn to close. Leviticus dies, do nothing. Turn three everything dies. He asks if I want to call it. I have my Crooligans in play, and they are looking to win it. I however pull the back one up to early, and give home a single target, which he takes. It takes a couple turns, but he kills them, game over, 0-8. All in all, I played a poor game. I wish I had stuck to the plan and seen how that went.

As a side note, Crooligans will not be in my league starting list. While I think they can be INCREDIBLY useful, they seem to be situational. Missions with objectives, they would be awesome. It would put me to far on the back foot. Next, I think I will try Spiders, but I have a feeling I will either go wither SPAs or throw down some Belles.

No comments:

Post a Comment