Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Wait, what? A working concept?


I AM A GENIUS!!! Well, ok, maybe not, but the Eldar do work. I played a game against Troy, which proved that I am in fact NOT a genius, but that in better hands, I do believe the Eldar Jetbike Kill Point Denial List works(heck of a name, huh).


OK, so it didn't hurt that turn one Troy's Tervigon rolled 1, 1, 2 for spawning, giving him a near min squad and shutting it down. The mission was Seize Ground with five objectives. Fewer objectives would have been helpful, but I still think I could have won this. I believe I ran it well, with the Guardians staying back, taking out opposing troops, while the Seer Council looked for juicy meat. The meat they found where some Hive Guard harassing my Guardians. They swooped in and shut down their shooting. Troy didn't see this as a solid move, as they weren't really threatening the Seers, but I pointed out, I wasn't saving the Seers. After a couple rounds, I wiped them from existence. The Autarch didn't do much, needing 6's to wound with his power weapon, but the squads Witchblades did the work with sheer number of 2+ wounds. The problem was in winning combat. It was on my turn, which isn't normally a problem for that squad, BUT some retard forgot to do his psychic powers, specifically Fortune. The following turn saw the squad wiped out to shooting, leaving me in a really bad place. Also, Troy gave me first turn, which meant every objective I moved onto was likely a death sentence on his turn. As such, I waited until turn six to make any moves. I had an objective, his Warriors another, all his hormagaunts and termagaunts were gone, and his Tervigon held a second for him. I had a Guardian squad right there, ready to jump in and hopefully contest, maybe even kill him with SERIOUS luck, but, hopefully, and contest for the draw. However, luck was NOT with me. My key to this whole crazy plan was the Emboldened Warlock in the squad who can wound and allow rerolls on leadership to hold the squad in combat. Problem was, he rooled a one for difficult terrain and a one for his save. Oh, crap. And he didn't go down alone either. Of course, all the Guardians whiff, and the Tervigon doesn't. Mercifully, it ends on turn six, with the win to Troy.

As far as tournament games would have gone, Troy only beat me by one objective and we tied on kill points, even after I gave him my 3 kill point Farseer, Autarch, Council squad. I think, had I played better(mostly just remembering Fortune), I could have done considerably better. That one mistake really cost me the game, and in the future I know I will make it again, but it seems to be the sticking point for my army.

Next week, I will probably be playing Chad's Daemons at 1500pts with my Eldar and his Grey Knights with my Eldar if he is willing to play 1500, but most likely with Chaos as he will want 2000pts. Looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment