Monday, June 3, 2013

TMI: Malifaux way2.0 many games


So, I ran demoes for 10 hours yesterday, myself running Leveticus in every one of them. It took me all three games to get some sort of handle on how to play Leveticus. Continue on, young grasshopper, to follow my path...

Game one was versus James. In this game I bought all the upgrades to try and rebuild my old Leveticus. This game was a slaughter, he rolled right over me and permaburried Leveticus rather early. Needing more Shackles than just the Waifes is a rough thing to learn. I also forgot a lot of my death effects and didn't use Soulless properly. Also, Sonnia has this ability that allows her to do two damage to a model for each spell they have. Leveticus has three, and I had kitted him out with three more... Yes, your math is correct, I was taking twelve damage, and since he was getting first activation, Leveticus was dead before I did anything every turn. Ouch.

Game two was versus Troy. I still tried to kit Leveticus out, but I did better this time around. I managed to get some use out of Soulless, mind you the wrong Soulless, not the correct version off the SPA card. Troy ran Lillith with a Doppleganger with a dirty upgrade that lets people heal two when the use a soulstone, like when Lillith prevents my Soulless damage. We were basically both using a soulstone to do nothing to Lillith. He mostly just slaughtered my crew, and since I wasn't yet up on how to use shackled, I mostly just helped until Leve was permaburied. The game ended with him having the Doppleganger and myself two SPAs. The points spread was him with an extra point from the strategy, as we both got one from line, and assassinate.


Ah, now I understand. I finally got shackled this game, and it was basically my only weapon, and I used it well. Unfortunately, the opponent who caught the brunt of my new found knowledge was Nate. It would likely be less effective against a more experienced opponent, but I doubt it would be ineffective against any but a ranged crew. We had Reconnoitre. I mostly mulched his crew. I had planned to take the Necropunks, but had forgotten them at home. Instead I took some canine remains, which filled largely the same role. I shackled one and sent them up either side, then I plowed everything else up the center, saccing Leve for another Waife. That was basically the game, go up the middle, bring out a Waife, have it shackle something of his with the aura up, rinse, repeat. Then Leve would pop out of whatever was now mine and do some stuff, nothing major, and sac himself. It did however, lead me to the odd situation where I didn't want to kill his models, because I needed shackle on them to guarantee my survival. Its easy for an opponent to kill my shackled model, but something totally different to kill his own. In the end it was just Lillith and my crew. Although, most of my stuff was out of range, Rusty and Lillith went at it, with Rusty killing Lillith with her final Soulless breath.

The games I played were basically Malifaux... basically. The models I played were not Leveticus. They were not unfun to play, but just not the crew I have been playing for two years. That Leveticus has lost his last Hollow Waife, with no stones and headed for the end of the turn. It does make me sad. I do not think I will be dropping Malifaux, however, but I may just be chasing what was. Time will tell, and since I seem to have little choice in the matter...

No comments:

Post a Comment