Tuesday, June 18, 2013

TMI: Into the new Webay


After a week off, it is time to dive into the new book and see where I stand.

Game one was versus Troy. This was an interesting match up, as I wanted to see how Bladestorm worked on monstrous creatures. I would still like to see how that works. He got first turn, took his two flyrants and a harpy, zoomed across, and laid waste to my seer council and hurt some guardians. On my turn I laid into him with almost everything, hoping to do something. Even with Bladestorm doing some wounds, he still managed to make all of his grounding checks, leaving my stuff out in the open waiting for death. And death came. Turn two saw more mauling of my forces. My turn two saw more nothing. At the beginning of three I called it, too weak to even make a push for points. It was good to see that I still can't go second to Troy.


Game two was versus Shaffer. I know, right. At this rate he may even become a regular play. Though now I've jinxed it. Curses. This game went much better, though I didn't get Fortune. I also didn't get Protect in either game. I knew in this one that the Markerlights were going to be trouble, since I rely heavily on cover saves. I did this partly, by watching ranges and because he placed his Marker Drones to the bad side of the pyramid. At that point, I ignored the drones and made the Pathfinders public enemy number one. My first turn was mostly positioning. He also had a Shadowsun/Farsight bomb on the same side as the Drones, so I avoided them as well. On turn two I took down the Pathfinder squad, negating their threat and gaining first blood at the same time. For the entire game I barely looked at his ShadowSight squad or his Riptide, which, while keeping them at range, meant they were barely a threat. The Shadow Sight group did manage to kill two guardian squads, both by killing a couple models and them fleeing off the board. I also didn't get Fortune this game, which hurt in the long term. The first three or four turns were largely all me, but as the game went on and I became more agressive, my forces began to crumble. In the end, we didn't even add up points, as he easily had the win.

Originally, I thought I couldn't take much from these games as my forces generally crumpled like paper. As I look at it more and more I think I can take quite a bit. For instance, in game one I dropped Embolden/Horify. What use is more fearless on a fearless unit or -3 Ld on a fearless army? Well, when that army relies on Ld for psychic powers, quite a bit. When I can take Psychic Shriek and make them take a Ld test on 3d6 with -3 Ld, quite a bit. -3 Ld plus Mind War knocks my opponent down to 1 WS and 1 I, plus they take wounds. I am going to have to become much more savy with my powers and their use. The new book is all about them, how they are used, how they are combined, and what they can do to both mine and my opponent's force. Which means I need to play, play, play and I only have less than 10 weeks to do it in. Yeeha!

No comments:

Post a Comment