Wednesday, July 3, 2013

TMI: Beaten by the Tabled



OH, NO! I got tabled with the new Eldar! Wait, no I didn't. But I didn't win either. So... How does that work?

Well, it works like this.

I was lucky enough to get in a three way game with some friends I hadn't seen in a while. Six of us showed up at a friends house and got in some basement gaming action. Why do I always play in basements? Anyway, we split into two groups of three and went at it. I was paired up versus Calvin(Sisters) and Dan(Necrons). I only have about 1900 points of Eldar/Dark Eldar, so I bought the Exarch upgrades on the Crimson Hunter and went in short. Calvin was running a pair of Immolators, a Exorcist Engine, some flagellants, sisters(of course), a land raider, inquisitor with entourage, and some others I don't know the name of. Nothing was loaded into the transports save the Inquisitor in the raider, so it was basically a foot list. The Necron list had one nightscythe with a command in it with the close combat guys that have the reflecting invul, a unit of wraiths, the night fight guy in a command barge, a c'tan with writhing worldscape, and a council. We also took a apoc asset. I deployed two guardian squads and the seer council. I didn't deploy the other guardians(sorry, windriders) because I didn't have room in my deployment zone with out leaving them in the wind. I then jetted my council in behind the necron lines, where he had the C'Tan and the Wraiths. The windriders used bladestorm to put some wounds on the C'Tan. For fear of the dangerous terrain covering the board, Calvin's Sisters just stayed in place. They did however shoot at stuff, but didn't do a whole lot. Dan's Necron night lord guy zipped his barge towards the sisters, while the wraiths and C'Tan turned on the Seer Council. Having been knocked down to 1 hull point, the bargs charged the sisters and promptly crashed due to overwatch fire, leaving that lord sitting in the open. The C'Tan and Wraith's charged my lines, I proceeded to kill the C'Tan and some Wraiths for nothing in return.

On my turn two, all my reserves came on. I took dangerous terrain on the Reavers(which they ignore), lost a dude, failed morale, and ran off the board. My Crimson Hunter immobilised the Land Raider, the Razorwing killed some Sisters something or other, my windriders repositioned, and my Council killed the Wraiths. The sisters moved forward on turn two, positioning to take the fight towards my lines, moving the immolators towards me through a narrow ravine. He managed to ugly up my Hunter, but due to a jink for the last hull point, it was able to survive. Dan's turn saw zero units come in from reserve, which meant he was technically tabled(bum bum bum), but Calvin and I agreed that was stupid, since it was a three player game, and he just lost a turn.

Turn three was a Sisters versus Eldar show. I promptly wrecked his immolator, blocking the one behind. I snap fired with the hunter into the raider, but nothing. The Razorwing had more luck, thinning down Calvin's squads further. On his turn two he turned on the Razorwing, and was able to wreck it with a penetrate, but it took some sisters with it. On their turn three the necrons decided to return to the fight. On this turn, Dan used his asset, which takes control of a vehicle, shoots its guns, the it suffers d3 glancing hits. Okay, when this came out, d3 glancing hits was rubbish, in 6th edition, however, d3 glancing hits can kill all but the toughest vehicles, and it sure as heck can take down a one hull point remaining hunter. Crash, burn, no casualties. My Hellions also took some heavy combined firepower on turn three, and missed out on turn four.

Turn four. The run down so far: I rolled protect on 3 warlocks, but the one in the Seer Council died to perils first turn. I also lost two more Warlocks to perils through out the game. I lost a Reaver squad from a dangerous terrain test they were immune to. I had lost my Hellions and Baron to mass fire. Both Flyers are dead. However, my asset was Replacements and I used it now to bring the Razorwing back on. I had been holding it for the Seer Council, but since they were apparently immortal, I didn't need to. This is the turn I make for the relic, as do the Sisters. The Necrons are still realing from early smashings(I don't think my fairies were supposed to smash a C'Tan and a whole unit of Wraiths). He basically just goes for secondaries. As it stands, I have nothing, Calvin the Sister player has Slay the Warlord on Dan, and Dan has First Blood. I use one windrider squad to shield the Relic, another is behind it to grab it next turn, and the third is playing back up. I can easily reach Linebreaker, and Dan's zone is clear. I am locked in combat with Calvin's Warlord, if she would just fail one more 2+ save. My screen died, as sadly, I knew they would. But they did their job, keeping everyone off during their movement phase.

Turn five, my windriders moved onto the relic, then moved off, and my other squad moved block. I didn't get the roll I needed for assault move to block as well as I would have liked, and this was possibley the only time the larger bases have be a detriment. As it was, the Sisters killed the Windrider with the relic, but it was in the middle of my stuff, so nobody else could get it. The Necrons mostly ignored the relic, and just moved into my zone.

Turn six was just me moving one Windrider squad into the Necron zone, snagging the relic with a Windrider Warlock, and continueing to fail to kill the Sister Warlord. On the Sister turn, his Assassin killed my Warlock, and I dropped the relic again, the Necrons did nothing and won the game. I had Linebreaker, Sisters had Slay the Warlord on the Necrons, the Necrons took it with a tabling, First Blood, and Line Breaker.

I had to jet right after, and felt bad about not helping clean up, but the game was fantastic. I had some issues, as they play differently to what I am used to, mostly carry overs from last edition, and they don't play as often. It was nice to face a non-flyer spam necron list and I always love the sisters. If they weren't so expensive, I would own a sisters army. Maybe I could start working on one for next years Tacticon...

No comments:

Post a Comment