Tuesday, August 20, 2013

TMI: Tournament Turn-a-round



I played in the second Tacticon PreCon Tournament on Saturday, as well as a few games of X-Wing in the after math.

As a shocker, no pictures for the tournament, I was just too into the event to be bothered. Round one was versus Shea's Orks. These have been a thorn for me, with them being able to blanket the board early, leaving me little room to manoeuvre and eventually locking me down. This game, I put everything I had learned into use. At first I started to take first turn, but realised my mistake while trying to pry my models off my new display board. Giving him first turn, we started into it. I gave his battle wagons a wide 18+ inch berth, failing to remember they can still move 6" before disembarking. This meant I lost a squad of windriders and my council was tied up all game. On the flip side, it turned out well. The windriders died(shockingly) and that left that squad of nobs chasing cars. The other squad pretty much just ate my council, but slowly, so I could take the loss and ignore them. The rest of the army proceeded to eat troops choices. Flying around, staying outside of his major threat range, and inflicting serious casualties meant in the end, I had an easy time swooping in and snagging all the objectives. It also didn't hurt that I was able to get the last turn in before time, which he wasn't ready for(Thanks to Shea for letting me alter what I did slightly).

Round two was against Patrick. I tend to do fairly well against Patrick, but it has been a while since we played. This game I split my forces and rocketed into each flank. He had a quad gun he was clumped around, but my Razorwing refused to show until turn four. The Baron's squad deep struck in turn two, and finished off a blob squad that was seriously soften by almost the entire rest of the army, giving them a much sought after pain token. They then promptly died to double strength weapons. But at least I got first blood, and saved the rest of the army some shooting. Turns out the squad isn't all the resilient when the first hit, the Baron fails his 2++ and dies. My Eldar continued to ugly my opponent, with the Crimson Hunter taking out a Vendetta and the Council vehicle hunting. With his over large squad size, it was a long haul to get kill points, while my small units allowed him to score some early points. But as his heavy hitters started to fall, he started to lose the ability to really hurt me. As the last turn rolled around, my constant plinking finally took its toll, and squads began to die off. Also, the Razorwing finally came in, dropped its missiles on the Quad gun and all the units clumped around it. On the last turn, Patrick forgot to move, but I let him go back, costing me a whopping 2 tournament points. In the end, I still had the win, putting me at 27 points.

At the beginning of round three I was tied for third with Chad with 27 points. Had I played Chad, I think I had a good chance of coming out ahead. But Troy and Nathan(a visiting Daemons player) had just played and were in first and second. So, with some randomising, Chad played Daemons, I played Troy... again. As it was, this game went much more in my favour than our games usually do. To start, on turn one both his Tervigons broke, which basically made the rest of the game possible. After that, I was able to systematically hunt his troops. It also didn't hurt that I had first turn, and his Tyrants and Harpy didn't do the usual wrecking. I basically ignored them the whole game. It was rather a blood bath, with me taking down all six of his troop unit, but losing most of my army in return. On turn five, I had both farseers and a warlock, two single man windriders, and my crimson hunter. He had much more, but no troops. I scattered the windriders, hoping to hide and win it on 5. I did neither. By turn six, all I had was Crimson Hunter and a Farseer. I powered up the Hunter, but then forgot to fire, failing to kill the Mawloc, which would have very likely died and given me a complete draw. As it was, I was nearly tabled, I can't remember if the Hunter lived. It ended 15-5 to him. A great game, and well up there in my best showings versus Troy.

In the end, Chad lost, fairly badly, to Nathan. Nathan took first, Troy second, and that noob smasher Patrick, bumped me out of third. I think it went very well, though I would have liked to have played the Daemon player, but it just wasn't to be. There was a bit of controversy, but I'm not getting into that. I fell fairly confident of where my army and I are at the moment. Now I just need to finish the display board, and its off to Tacticon!

After the battles there, I wasn't ready to be done, so Shea and I set up some games of X-Wing. I am entered into the Tacticon tournament, and I think Shea is looking to play as well. He had forgot his A-Wing, so we were only able to play at around 70 points. This meant I had to leave some of my characters home, and as yet have still not played my full 100 point list. Could be rough. The games themselves went pretty smoothly. In the first one, my Interceptor went down early, but I managed to hold with the rest and pull out a win. In game two the Interceptor lived, and it went much more my way. I also manoeuvred much better in the second game, but I have to get better at avoiding obstacles. I have already come up with changes for my tournament list, and I am looking at what changes I think will be effective. I am still thinking Swarm Tactics would be nice for getting three pilot skill 9 ships, but may drop it for more effectiveness on my current two ps9 ships. But with out a testing ground, its all theory. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment