Tuesday, November 12, 2013

TMI: The new new Leveticus


I managed to squeeze in a game of Malifaux this last Saturday. It was with the newest(as of writing, that changes tonight) version of Leveticus. It wasn't very exciting game, but read on if you care.
As I said, I only managed to squeeze in one game, and it was against Troy's Dreamer crew. I am basically just going to post my battle report from the Wyrd forums. It will be more in depth than usual, but will give everyone an idea of what those look like. And some of my deeper thought on individual parts of my crew as well.

Deployment: Flank
Strategy: Reconnoiter
Scheme pool: Line, Breakthrough, Assassinate, Entourage, and Take Prisoner

Me:
Leveticus - Pariah of Bone
Rusty Alyce - Desolate Soul and From the Aether
2 Hollow Waifes
Ashes and Dust
4 Abominations
6 ss cache

Him:
Dreamer - Dream of Pain and Other Worldly
Wido Weaver - Handbag and On Dreaming Wings
Candy - Nexus of Power and Fears Given Form
Teddy
3 Day Dreams
4 ss cache

I took and hid Line and Breakthrough, he took and revealed Breakthrough and Entourage.

My plan this game was to use Abominations to give me superior numbers to take quarters. I took Pariah of Bone to make more, which felt odd, since I didn't take any non-Outcast undead(though Belles are great for this strategy). Beyond that, A&D was my beatstick, Alyce was there to hold my own quarter, give me tomes on defense, and help with the scrap/corpse markers.

Deployment: I took the left hand corner, split deploying to get a head start on scheme markers. Two Aboms forward left, one towards right, other back far right. A&D joined right, Waife either way, and Leve and Alyce to right of center. My opponent loaded his right(towards my left side) ignoring A&D and going for the two Aboms.

Turn 1: A&D sprang forward along my board edge and planted a scheme marker. The waife on that side followed. Alyce managed to drop a counter, though Leveticus failed to use it, moved up, placed another Waife and sacced. On the other side the Waife there and the two aboms moved up to get ready for turn two. My opponent's force circled to my left, planning to hit my flank hard. He also summoned Coppelius.

Turn 2: He moved in on my Aboms, I brought up the Waife's negative flip aura, he moved in with a wicked doll and two alps. The Widow Weaver started dropping webs. I started to hemorrhage high cards to make my Aboms do anything with all the negatives, but was able to bring the Alps and Doll down to 2 wounds, leaving them to the negative flip for the Df duel to get them. Even on negatives, they all succeded, save Teddy. Teddy spent much of the time cleaning my little swarm, while I used Alyce's upgrade to load him with Unmade, which I will get more into at the end. The rest of the turn was pretty much failure, since my high cards had been sucked away. Alyce failed to drop a token. Didn't mater, cause Leveticus with a crow for a stone and positive for his wounds still couldn't get anything off, repeatedly. I did score Recon.

Turn 3: Leveticus lived this turn, trying to get some shenanigans going, which was able to stop my Opponent getting Recon, but I didn't either. Alyce was able to punch Coppelius to make an Abom, but he was later brought back.

Turn 4: Teddy kills Alyce with some terrible flips on my part. Leveticus goes down, only have two wounds from last turn and being surrounded by small minions. He does come back through my last Waife who only cowered in the right hand corner all game. A&D and a rogue Abom kept dropping scheme markers, as they had all game, though A&D finished back towards the center. At the end of the turn I had Leveticus, A&D, and an Abom left. Recon to opponent.

Turn 5: My opponent was free to drop his Breakthrough markers and bring Dreamer across. I used A&D to drop a scheme marker board center, but it set him up for death from Teddy. Who killed him, but that meant I had Ashes to put back in my right side corner to drop another scheme marker. Leveticus dropped a marker as well and made a Waife.

Turn 6: Game went on, but we didn't bother to play it. Final score was 8-6 for my opponent. Continuance would have just been more points for my opponent and less for me.

After thoughts:
Leveticus - I took the Undead upgrade to summon, felt weird. Also, there were several times when I was in prime position to take Leveticus on the offensive and realized he had none. Unmaking with a ram became my signature damage, taking down some piddly Alps and Dolls. I repeatedly found myself lacking the cards when trying to summon, needing both crows and high cards, I just didn't have it to go around. Partly this was due to trying to do things with my Aboms, but I just couldn't get the flips. And statistically, that is as it should be, needing 8+'s.

Waifes - The 6" from deployment zone was tough. My Waifes were right in my opponents forces. You can guess how nice my opponent for ignoring those. I think, if he had gone after both flanks, I may have been in trouble. As it was, I hid one all game, and came out fine. Turn one I had 3 and finished with none on both turns four and five. Had my opponent gotten Leveticus before he activated, all done.

Ashes and Dust - I should have taken Bishop. He was too easy to ignore, and so he just became the scheme dropper in my crew. In the end I had dropped 6 Line markers, 2 of which were destroyed, and about 6 more Breakthrough markers, between my whole crew. He went down like, well, dust. I never really got him into combat, so no ideas there, but his bounce to scrap hurts when you can't seem to get new scrap out and need it to summon, also.

Abominations - I like these guys. Shutting down 0's is strong, though on many occasions they just got slapped and the whatever used the 0 after they were gone. These guys were the work horses I had planned them to be and a right nuisance to my opponent.

Unmaking - Unmade holds a special place in my heart. It is a dark place where there is no love or light. In the game Teddy finished with unmaking 5. In previous games I have had him up to unmaking 7, before killing him with something else. It no longer give a crow for Unnatural Wasting, they are allowed to regen/heal/what ever before it ever effects them. It did appear useful over previous when it damages AFTER they beat on you awhile, but that didn't prove as effective as I had hoped. And since I had taken summoning, there is no real way to get a model off of say Rusty Alyce before she is cut to ribbons, because even if you have unmaking infinitybillion, they get to kill her first.

Pariahs - Either, whether you want the extra models or not, these are an auto take or Leveticus does NOTHING.

From the Aether - Autotake. Two 0's? Yes, please.

Desolate Soul - Jury is out. Seems real nice. Especially since it can kill the enemy on the activation it slaps you around on. It just doesn't seem to actually kill anything.

As an addition to the posted report, I will say that I enjoyed the game, but it wasn't exactly filled with excitement. We mostly circle each other, I failed tests and he killed my minions. Not bad, but I don't think either of us wanted to play a turn 6. And had to get home anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment