Monday, March 3, 2014

This week in Infinity...


... I played Malifaux. Okay, so, I also played a game of Infinity for the league, but it was far shorter. I even managed to get in some painting on my Dakini. A whopping 30 minutes, pretty much tripling my paint time for the last two weeks. Sweet!

When I arrived at the store, one of the new Malifaux players wanted a game. His buddy had also brought his brand new crew. So, instead of having one watch, while I played the first, I pitted them against each other and gave pointers and walked them through things. By mid turn two or three, I was mainly only giving tactical advice, so when Troy offered to play a game right next to them, I jumped at the chance. I took Tara and Hans with the new upgrades for Outcasts, allowing me to shoot with Hans at range 36" twice in an activation. I also took the Nothing Beast, as the Hans thing is very card intensive, so the Beast's Df should be good, right. I also took a pair of Wretches, a pair of Ronin, and the Malifaux Child. I took Deliver the Message and Cursed Object. He was running Collodi with a Lucky Effigy, a Stitched, Teddy, the Hooded Rider(not the model, though), and three Marionettes. His schemes were Cursed Object and A Line in the Sand. I tried a new delivery system for the Nothing Beast(or whatever beater), using Hans's upgrade combo to kill a small model on the other side of the board and have the NB pop out. It was rather effective, but the Nothing Beast doesn't activate immediately, and isn't my final activation, since Tara still has to go. This meant that on turn one, I kill a Marionette, bring out NB, he gets Pull Strings from Collodi, and his first action is to move away, then back, leaving me short AP for Deliver a Message. Pull Strings was kind of the bane of my existence this game, it repeatedly messed up my plans. I did manage to have a shortage of cards, two to be exact, a 13 and a 12. This meant that when Collodi used the Stitch to gamble the Nothing Beast's life, the Stitched ended up dieing instead. Most agreeable.


Turn two. I lose initiative. The Nothing Beast smiles sheepishly with his Df 3, then smiles no more. I'm pretty sure that the Nothing Beast for a Stitched and a Marionette is a bad trade for me, I could be wrong though. Maybe. I would like to interject here that I had been up since before 5 that morning after working the night before, so I wasn't at my full faculties and may have made a few mistakes. So, not to be daunted by the loss of Nothing, I continued to move forward, protected by a hail of shots from Hans. I also managed to get a Cursed Object on a marionette. Which I forgot to declare at the end of the turn, and so got no points for. On turn three, Troy was able to remove it. Most of the rest of the turn was trying to bury Hooded Rider, while I had a Ronin already buried... Yep, that happened. Instead, I ended up killing the Hooded Rider instead. He would have been useful later, for picking up Troy's scheme markers, but alas.


Turn three. Lost initiative, again. What the hooey? Doesn't he know I am playing Tara, and so I DON'T lose initiative? The nerve, I tell you. Anyway, at this point, we both have a point for Turf War, I screwed up Cursed Object, he didn't even get one placed, and no messages. At lot of this game was move into position, he slaps me with pull strings, moves my model away, I don't have the actions to Deliver a Message. I am, however doing fairly well with Cursed Object now, and manage to get a point for it this turn, but he does as well. I started to make poor decisions, placing models poorly and picking bad targets. Had I used Hans to take the Marionette on the far right, I could have stopped him from later getting full for A Line in the Sand. I continue to try for Deliver a Message, but he keeps pulling strings to make my models walk away, so even with fast, they can't get it done.

On turn four, I think I finally won initiative, maybe. I'm still not in position to Deliver a Massage, but in the new rules, the turn no longer matters, something Troy and I hadn't yet picked up on. We both managed to get Cursed Object this turn as well, and Turf War, again. At this point, it was more positioning, more scheme markers for him, to my right, more poor target selection, though I think that the Marionette on the right is pretty well dug in. I did manage to put Teddy away for a second, though.


Turn five. I have a Void Wretch with one wound and a cursed object, who used his two actions to Deliver a Message to one mister Collodi. I am now in a situation where Tara has an Object and a Void Wretch has an object, and I only have two significant models near the Turf War. I use Tara to remove her object and try and get rid of the Marionette, no real luck. I then use Hans to remove the Void Wretch, costing me Turf War, but costing him Cursed Object. At this point he is up a point on me, so I use Tara to force a reflip, and the game goes on.

Turn six. I need Tara to break free so she can move out of range of a Marrionette with Cursed Object to remove his scheme marker, leaving Troy with only three for A Line in the Sand. I just can't get it done. I think I ended up pimp slapping the Marionette in frustration. In hindsight, I probably should has given Hans fast and triple moved him up for Turf War. I don't think I got Cursed Object this turn, so I must have killed the Marionette, which would have given me the tie. Like I said, not the most tactically on the game today.

In the end the game went down nine to eight to him. Had I completed Cursed Object on two like I should have, it would have been an easy tie. Had I moved Hans up instead of taking useless shots, I could have won it. I think from the get go, it was my game to win, so I lost it. I had better position, schemes, and crew, but I just played sloppy and paid for it. Hans did exactly as I set him up to, but I don't think what he did was really what I wanted to have happen in this game. The "Hans drops the Nothing Beast" trick is a bust, the Nothing Best doesn't activate right away, and so can take a beating before he even goes. All in all, a great game, I just wish I had played better and brought home the big W. Yeah, I said it, what?

With my game against Troy finished, it was time to get soda and some supper. But after that, I played a game of Infinity versus Shaffer. This was our round two game for the league. Round two was for placing, with points not having any effect on the overall in the league. It was also the last game I would play at the 150 point level. I took my standard list, Marut, Dakini, three Netrods. He to two Arogatos(Bikers), a Zhang Ji medic(spelling?), a Lt guy, and two grunts. I pulled double down Intimidate, Assess, Ambush, and Kill the Boffin(which I mistook for Kill the Pigeon). He had double down Assess, Intimidate(which I ambushed), the kill two in CC one, and something else. I won the roll and gave him Deployment. I set up with my Marut near dead center with a LoF passed the Civie, and a small window to the left half of the board. I think I turned her a little to far to the right, but it mattered only a little. I dropped two Netrods, which both rolled 17s and ended within inches of the table corner. My other one hit right on, to my right. The Dakini set up after, behind a building, in cover, but with LoF to one of his models. He set up fairly centrally, though nothing in cover, with a bike to either side. I gave him first turn. He started with Impetuous on the bike to my right, which came screaming around the corner, right past the Civie, and took some Explosive ammo to the face, though he made two saves. He dropped unconscious right in my LoF. He then moved the Aragato to my left, which went passed a window which I could see though and also took explosive to the face, but failed one rolls and thus, was out. He then dropped in the medic in my back field, out of the Marut's zone of control, but right on top of the Netrods in the corner. She promptly pasted both, giving him a point. He then tried to sneak back towards her lines, but crossed into the Marut's LoF, and took explosive to the face, but did make two of the ARM rolls. Thus, basically, ended his turn, and I stepped up.

My turn one, I promptly finished the Aragato in LoF to the Civie, locking in Intimidate. I then charged the Marut forward, for Kill the Pigeon, which I didn't have, and took a wound from his guy in the center, but killed the Civie. I didn't get a point, having played the wrong mission, but did nullify his Intimidate, granting me Ambush, so I will take it. I then pasted his guy in the center and a guy off to the side. This left him in Retreat and Loss of Lt, with only one model left. On his turn, he went into defeated mode, so he blindly charged his last guy forward on two orders and ate explosive paste.

Adding up points, I realized I took the wrong mission, but having killed his highest point model anyway, it didn't matter. I had pulled off all four of my missions for five points, while he finished his double mission and the make them suffer one. The game ended 5-3 in my favor. I am not sure I was any more tactically adept in this game, but it did go heavily my way. Largely due to having good AROs versus his Aragatos. Before we had set up, I had warned him that his impetuous orders would get him in trouble versus my force, and he would have to be super careful on when to let his bikes go wild. I think the drop in was a good choice, though I'm not sure I would have tried to head back for my lines. Part of it was that it was his medic and he wanted a bike back.

Going into rounds three and four with two wins means I will be facing Nate and likely Patrick. Being immune to Sepsitor is nice, but that isn't Nate's only trick. I also think it likely that his list will be at least partially tailored to fight my force, so it will be a challenging game that I am looking forward to. It is also at 225 points, so I get to try some stuff I have never done before, should be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment