Monday, July 7, 2014

Double table, double weeks ago


So, it has been a couple of weeks since I posted. I did manage to get some games in, including a small unit bash of Fantasy versus my kids last weekend, and a truck load of Pokemon against the same bad influences. But that's not what you all want to hear about, except that they trounced me in Fantasy. No, you want to hear about two weeks ago when I played both 40K and Infinity.
Well, read on.

Game one was my Chaos force versus Payton's Blood Angels. Muahaha. Turn one was mostly mild moving. Turn two things swung heavily my way, since I had managed to split his force and then move to hit a single side rather heavily. I also held back a little on the other side, staying at a safe distance. I wiped a squad down to its Librarian, thus losing fearless(he was running Death Company). I then took a quick break to get food, unaware that Payton was on his way out, and had packed up by the time I returned. I demand a rematch, but I also declare this one a tabling victory. Hey, I take what I cam get.


For game two, I finally managed to rope Paul in for a game of Infinity. He runs Pan O with the dirty TO Camo TAG. I ran my usual list. I just haven't found a reason to swap to the guided missile list, full reaction HMGs with mines is just too good. Anyway, he took deployment and set up on his side of the table. I run into this often, and it was mentioned in a Wyrd Chronicle, people are just too lazy to move. Just by setting your stuff on the favorable side, you get the favorable deployment. Well, I guess that is just the way of things. As it was, I had plenty of cover to set up behind, with good fire lanes to protect my side. The table was likely light on LoF blocking, and he made a couple changes that I think favored my LoF. As it was, I moved into position on my turn, doing some minimal damage, but setting up for my missions. He then set some aggressive actions that lead to my AROs, though I didn't try and discover his camo marker, forgetting the damn TO Tag, and hoping he would do something I could shoot instead, but he just double moved. When he did reveal I got a large number of shots on his TAG and was able to give some hurt, but not a ton. He then returned fire on other orders and and eventually took down my Marut, but I was still able to kill his TAG as well. This put me into Loss of Lieutenant, which I can't escape from, and I wrongly assumed Retreat, which I wasn't. After a ton of games where my Marut dies and I am in Retreat, and only a few games at 300 points, I wasn't thinking. So, I ran my turn as if I was in Retreat, letting everything fall off the board, except my Reaction Bots, who got my two orders to hold. On his turn, he was also in Retreat and Loss of LT, but for reals. So, it became a game of him trying to save face while I just sat there with my bots holding the lanes. In the end he was tabled and I took 4 points, having failed my No Retreat mission, even though I didn't and just ran my guys off instead.

A great game, but one I really want a do over. Two main thing happened this game. First, of course, I screwed up on Retreat. But, second, Paul wasn't prepared to face me. I play generally different than everyone else at Hobby Town. I always do. When I took a 11th Company play style "test," I came out logical, aggressive, and tricksy in equal measure. I like to break down the game, move forward, and set traps. This helps a lot for Infinity, because of the reaction mechanic. It actually allows traps, more so than 40K. I also feel that Malifaux 2nd Edition is much more that way that the original, and that is partly why I have such a hard time being successful with it.

I enjoyed both games, though I wish they both had gone on longer. Payton is hard to finish a game against, since his mom picks him up and the game versus Paul went south quick. But, unfortunately, not fast enough for a reset and rematch. I hope he does come back with a more tailored list, I am dying to face a truly bad match up. Maybe next week. It didn't happen this week, and I will post later about all that. Hope I didn't spoil anything for anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment