Friday, July 11, 2014

Now with pictures!


I managed to snag a game of Malifaux versus Patrick on the Fourth. We had a time constraint due to the store closing, but managed to bring the game to an almost full conclusion. It was a good game that forced me to make hard decisions all the way up to the end. It was 50ss, he ran Nicodem and I ran Leveticus.

The strategy was Turf War, with a scheme pool of Breakthrough, Plant Evidence, Protect Territory, Take Prisoner, and A Line in the Sand. We both took hidden Breakthrough and Plant Evidence.
His Crew:
Nicodem - Undertaker and Maniacal Laugh
Mortimer - Corpse Bloat and My Favorite Shovel
Sebastian - Decaying Aura and Unnerving Aura
Flesh Construct
2 Canine Remains
Rotten Belle
Graveyard Spirit
6 Soulstones

My Crew:
Leveticus - Desolate Soul, To Earth Return, and Tally Sheet
Rusty Alyce - Tally Sheet and Desolate Soul
2 Hollow Waifes
Ashes and Dust - Scramble
Lazarus
Hodgepodge Effigy
Abomination
2 Soulstones

A super light cache for me, but I decided I wanted the Abomination more, and I had the Effigy to get me more. When I flipped strategy and schemes, I was sorely tempted to take Tara. This would have been her cup of tea. But, I had decided I needed more table time with Leveticus, so I steeled my resolve, and dug in.
I deployed first, placing everything fairly centrally, with Ashes and Dust to my right, planning to make a bee line across and start in on schemes. He deployed similarly, with everything centered, except his canines, which were to his right, directly across from A&D. I was puzzled by this, but took it as a opportunity. Later, he told me his plans for the Canines were similar to my plans for Ashes. I think if he would have set them on his right, I may have been hard pressed to stop them, though Rusty was on that side, and she seems rather adept and hunting rotten dogs.

Turn one: We both jostled a little, myself playing rather defensively, hoping to bring him in a little before I committed. I did, however, shoot Ashes and Dust forward when his dogs came into range. On my first attack I held the crow, figuring with Hard to Wound and a negative flip on top, there was a fair chance I would bring it to one wound, use the crow on the second attack, and get an Abomination. Instead, I pulled the Red Joker, splatted a dog and looked stupid with rotten bits all over me. It did mean I had locked down his scheme droppers though.


Turn two: I lost the Initiative, and stoned and lost by more. Ah, well. He promptly put the Flesh Construct into Lazarus, shutting down his shooting. I waited until he moved up the Spirit and then tried to drop some blasts onto both, but only did a few wounds to the Construct. Ashes ate the other dog, then hid behind the resulting Abomination to block Lure. I took pot shots elsewhere, but ended up doing little, though the lured Abomination made things unpleasant for Patrick with his aura. I love those guys.


Turn three: I started to take down Mindless Zombies, creating Abominations in the middle of Patrick's crew. I was also able to use the Effigy's ability, combined with Tally Sheet, to score some more Soulstones. Lazarus, however, finally succumbed. I was then able to kill the Construct, and clear that zone. Towards the end of the turn, I was left trying to decide whether to move in Ashes and Dust, killing models to deny Turf War, or continue to skirt the edges to get more scheme markers. I decided his one point versus my several, he could have his one.


Turn four: I managed to win Initiative, and promptly killed Mortimer, turning him into an Abomination. At this point Patrick was down to a Belle, Nico, and Sebastian and he decided to call it. I think he could have made a showing, but he was going to be hard pressed to push through me to get schemes.


An excellent game, and a great way to spend the holiday before I had to go to work. I think the crew worked fairly well. Lazarus held his own for quite a while before succumbing. The Hodgepodge was fairly useful, but he can easily end up out of range, as he did for turn four. I don't think he will be a regular in a Leveticus list, but he will likely make an appearance from time to time. The list as a whole was solid. I did feel the lack of stones, but overall, it didn't hurt me terribly. I hope to get in a game this weekend, but with after hours being unlikely, it could be another sad Saturday.

Coming soon: Hobby progress, including the start of a Sicarius Pattern Rhino!

No comments:

Post a Comment