Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Double tap of PHR

Managed to get in two games of Dropzone over the weekend before we jumped into Deathwatch. My first was a 1000 pt game versus Nabors's PHR, the second was versus Shea's brand new PHR. So basically grey PHR then white PHR. Hey, at least I brought some color to the table. With their blood. Oh, wait I play Shaltari.


Game one was versus Nabors, running his 1000pt PHR. This time he had to drop some points to legally take his commander.We rolled and pulled recon again. This time I tried to make the table as even as possible. Once again my Yaris proved their worth. I walked my Tamahawks and Jaguar on. The Tomahawks just seem to work well that way. The Jaguar, not so much. Even with roads giving me +2 Mv, he just didn't make it anywhere. I was able to use the side guns, but the AA did nothing. On the flip side, as he doesn't own and it is expensive, he couldn't bring a Poseidon for his Hades. As such, it slowly trundled up a road on the left side, adding very little to the actual battle. I think he could have focused some buildings down to clear it a fire path, but that would be resources he could, and did, use elsewhere. I managed to find two or three objectives, but with the Yaris playing courier, it was a lot less detrimental to my plan. He also found a few objectives, but instead had to hand them to an APC, which was then not moving his infantry between non-linked buildings. His AA also walked on, but down the right side. They also suffered from not being in position, meaning almost a third of his force was of little consequence for me. And while the jaguar wasn't launching AA, it and the Coyote were still using their Gauss Cannons. In the end I was able to just squeak out a victory, pulling enough more building to beat his more objectives. Another great game, and it definitely gave me food for thought, mostly centered around walker mobility. 2" MF on a Jaguar over a Tomahawk doesn't sound like much, until you figure that that is a full foot over the course of a game. Add in that the Jag isn't using its AA till much closer, and it really points to the Jag needing to be dropped in on turn one so that it can be in position later.
With that game out of the way, it was time for Deathwatch. So, instead, I played Shea a teaching game versus his new PHR starter. I ran my 600 point list for the league. No command cards this time, since he neither had any, nor are they terribly useful for a teaching game. We played the first scenario, Targets of Oppurtunity, as it really seems like the best one to start on. And it either clicked for Shea, or I am becoming a better teacher, because he picked up the drop moves super quick. As a matter of fact, he was able to drop two infantry squads into two different buildings on turn two, before I could. He also did a fair job of covering the board. As such, I had a hard job moving with out taking pot shots. I was able to get my infantry into the building on my left, and into CQB in the building in the center. I wasn't able to get the building on the right, since I had committed to the left. Luckily, Braves are stupid versus standard infantry, and some of the elites as well. As such, I was able to wipe his squad, throw the objective into a Haven, zoom it back, pass to a Tomahawk, and would have skated off the board. With the left to me, and the right to him, this left no points to get, bringing it to a 4-2 win to me, which we called on four or five. I think Shea will pick this game up fairly quick, and it will be fun to see where he goes with it.

I am looking forward to the league next week. Not only am I enjoying Dropzone Commander on its own, but I think the league may breath new life into the club. As a group, KoGT has been hurting since summer, way down on players each Saturday. With the introduction of Dropzone, I am playing people I haven't seen much of, and we may even be getting some outsiders to come join. I have even created some multi-LZ templates with KoGT on them for everyone who joins the league. Hopefully, other people will see the templates and that will get the word out about us. Who knows. Maybe nobody outside the club, or possibly even inside, will want them, and I will have a bunch of acrylic frisbees.

I will leave you today with a Haven running for haven with the objective.





2 comments:

  1. Hey man, thanks for the add to your Blog Roll. Much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My pleasure, your stuff is freaking awesome.

    ReplyDelete