Monday, November 24, 2014

Can we blow it? Yes we can!

Okay, so I am not unbeatable at DzC, but I am doing fairly well. Well, I was until Saturday, when I single handedly crushed... myself. Yep, I scored a loss due to a stupid mistake on my part. One of those "What the F was I thinking" moments. Oh, and I did pretty terribly in the Malifaux league on Sunday.


We played the first mission out of book two, which is a focal point mission. There were 5 points, table center and the center of each table quarter. This put the center and the two to my right in buildings, while the left two were in the open. I was playing versus Jim's PHR. My goal was to avoid his Hades, possibly take down his buildings, and use my speed to take the left side. It didn't work terribly well. In my 1,000 points list,  I just don't have the shots to take down buildings. He did not have that problem, and manage to take down the building on my side. No problem, I still have my speed. I took out his Phobos, leaving my Gates open to move my units around, though one had already fallen to some absurd luck. I had also managed to lose my Coyote, though the command module survived. On the final turn, I tried one last gambit to drop the center building, but with poor luck early on, I knew it wasn't going to happen after and activation or two. I dropped my Braves into his focal building, not enough to take it, but a point for contesting. I also moved up my remaining Kukri, contesting the center building. With my building rubble, that put us at 2-6, and it turned to the left side.

And I had it. The game was mine. I picked up my command module from my point, and dropped it on his. I was wrong, thinking that the module still counted as the Coyote for points, but it turns out its 0 points. It didn't matter though, all he had in range was a 48 point Erebus, and my Commander costs 66points. It was now 7-5, and it is down to my focal point, which doesn't have a Jaguar next to it. Why doesn't it have a Jaguar next to it? After I fired with my Jag, I for some unknown reason didn't move as I had planned, which put him out of range, giving both of us 0 points for the final Focal Point. With one stupid mistake, I managed to turn an 8-7 win into a 5-7 loss. I am truly spectacular. And, as this was the only game I am likely to get this week, I finished the week at 1 point, my worst so far.

Due to the Thanksgiving holiday, I got Sunday off. Don't think about it too hard, doesn't make sense to me either. Anyway, as such, I was able to get to Hobby Quest early and get in four Hardcore games, three counting for the league. First up was Russel. Now, going in, I was told Reckoning, with a variant of Cursed Object/Distract, and built this crew:
Viktoria of Blood with Oathkeeper
Vanessa
Miss Demeanor
Student of Conflict
A bit more ranged, since I didn't want to get Distracted/whatever, until my opponent's stuff was close enough to kill. However, on the day it was Reckoning with Protect Territory. And, as I am unable to make proper lists or adjustments on the day of any event, I kept the list. So, in game one, I was facing Russel's Ressers. Sybelle, with a couple upgrades, 2 Belles, and a Punk Zombie. I promptly went rawr, flipped really well, including a Red Joker on Vanessa and killed two Belles on turn one. Not real useful in Reckoning, but I was going for tabling anyway(you had to, do the math), I was okay with it. What I wasn't okay with was the wiffle ball bat I swung around turn two. Part of it was that Russel had placed personal attention on Vik, which needed a seven to ignore, big whop, my hand was good, but then he proceeded to drain my hand, leaving me only a Red Joker which I used with Vanessa to keep her alive. It's okay, all I need to do is hit once one ths Zombie, it has one wound, and I get a point. So, end of two, no points for anyone. Beginning of three, he activates Sybelle, doesn't really get anything done, time. Well, at least I got my draw achievement.

Game two was versus Jules. He was running Joss, Lazarus, and two Metal Gamin. Oh, I went into a rage. A dark terrible rage. A rage to end all rages. An impotent rage. This game was me beating the snot out of everything, and killing nothing. Absolutely nothing. The flip side is that I only lost a single model. However, Jules was also able to get two Protect Territories down, and myself couldn't even really push forward in my vane attempt to get something killed. I lost this one 4-1.

Game three was versus Joe, the current leader in the league. My goal for this week was to do decent in two games and stomp her, bringing me up, while her down. Part one of the plan was in shambles. She has a very anti-shooting crew. Sigh. Originally I had though to use Vikky in my other games and Taelor from week one in my versus Arcanist games. Unfortunately, I found out lists were locked, hence Viktoria versus Joss. She was running Snowstorm, Ice Golem, and two Hoar Cat Prides. No worries, I can still do this. A resounding victory seem unlikely, with my previous killing ability, and he defense against what I brought. But a win will help. She sent a cat to my left, which Vanessa moved to intercept. Everything else went to my right, so Viktoria headed that way. Miss Demeanor and the Student crept up the middle. Vanessa took out the cat on turn one. Yes, I may be missing some nuance of the strategy. Viktoria wailed on the Ice Golem, who brought he to Hard to Kill. Next turn, Vanessa healed, healing Viktoria, making her a bitch once again. The Ice Golem preceded to bring her back down to one. Viktoria then smashed the Ice Golem, giving me a point. The shatter hit Viktoria, who stoned to prevent, and flipped the Black Joker, which I said would haunt me when I used it for rapid fire the turn before, and I was right. Viktoria dies, giving her a point. EXCEPT, I am pretty sure she should have healed from her kill a model ability, but I'm an idiot. Rest of game: Vanessa drops a Protect Territory, Cat drops two, but moves away from them, I win 2-1. So, I should have won at least 3-1, but I am once again, an idiot.

Well, that is in the hole, I finish -3 for the day. Just to sate my curiosity, and because I have time, I ask for another game, so I can try my Taelor crew. I get paired against the new kid with Kandy, Teddy, Sorrow, and a Primordial Magic. Wow. I should have taken this crew. And played better. In this one, I threw away the idea that I would be able to finish the game, turn 3 seeming to be the max. I hold off to kill Teddy on turn two, scoring me a point, My Wretches run off to do objectivey things, though one gets Insignificant from the Magic, who I then bury. I kill the sorrow on three with Taelor, giving me another point, and him a Magic to Insignificant Taelor with. I also beat on Kandy who Ran Away Home. turn four would have been the Magic, five Kandy, but time gets called, and we finish 5-0. Ouch. I brought the cannon to the new guy, what a jerk. I also proved I had the wrong list all day. This one rocks.

While I played stupid, I did enjoy my games. It looks like Jules will move into first, and I will drop more than a little. Oh well, I never expected to win, I can't make most of the games. I am really looking forward to the tourney in three weeks, I will be able to play all day, and hopefully bring a decent list this time. Yeah, I'm looking t you Taelor.

Until next time, Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment