Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Seriously, anybody but PHR

Thank goodness I didn't say you couldn't play the same faction in more than two game in any four, because this is getting out of control. Another three games versus PHR under my belt for this week. It doesn't help that five of the twelve league players play PHR, but come on.

Game one was versus Shea. He was of course playing his PHR, though none of his stuff came in. He did borrow some cards from Nabors, and a couple models from Jim, so he had 1000 points and a deck.

His list(to the best of my memory):
Command
    Zues and Hyperion may have been mounted in Neptune
Standard
   2 Ares mounted in Neptune
Standard
   2 Phobos mounted in Neptune
Infantry
   2 squads of Immortals
Maybe something else, but I don't think so.

My list:
Command
   Coyote
Standard
   3 Tomahawks supported by 3 Kukris
Heavy
   Jaguar
Scout
   2 squads of 2 Yaris
Infantry 1
   2 squads of Braves
Infantry 2
  1 squad of Braves
Gates
  3 Edens and 3 Havens


This game went very similar to previous games. Shea spread like butter, I moved to one side and ate. Or at least nibbled, I am Shaltari after all. Or maybe it is me, either way. He had placed his command on my left very early, so I placed to center and right, completely ignoring his type-2 walkers with their passive saves. This also meant that a third of his army never came to play. In hindsight, I probably should have pressed certain spots a little more, not spreading as much as I did. It may also be why I have trouble killing is because I need to focus nearly my entire army on a single target to take it down. As it was, I did target his AA, which are much more expensive and won the game.

Game two was versus Jim with, guess what, PHR. At least the colors change I guess.

His list(again from memory):
Zues and Odin in Neptune
2 Odins in Neptune
2 Phobos in Neptune
2 squads of Immortals in Neptune
A walking Hades

My list stayed the same. I screwed up my gate allocation somewhere and ran out of gates before the end of turn. This meant my Jag didn't make the board until turn two. It also meant I pushed him hard up a flank, making the focal point in that corner. But I didn't get as far behind a building as I thought, which meant the Hades one shot it. Yep, one shot a Shaltari heavy walker. Ouch. We were playing three objective, two focal points. I can't remember the mission's name. This meant I had dropped to match his five activations and lost 100pts of my army, and my main hope of taking the left focal point.

Of course, we both snagged the close objectives quickly. I then pushed into the center rock formation, which we played A8 with troops always at all the walls. He never really pushed for it, and I was able to snag this one as well. This mean that we were fighting for the focal points, because if I could hold one, I would win. But, like I said, I had already given one away. This meant a heavy push to my right with Kukris, Tomahawks, and my Coyote. The Braves jumped buildings clear into his zone, activating CQB with all of his Immortals.

So, I began to slink forward, pressing his flank, while only slightly harrying the left with my Yaris. Both sides took damage, though I think I was on the losing end. However, I still had my ace in the hole.

As both a weapons platform and a expensive focal point control piece, the Coyote is awesome. And fast. So I can actually get it up into position while firing away with its dual Gauss Cannons.
I also had this guy, who, after failing fortitude in CQB, redeemed himself by going toe to toe with a Hades, and losing of course. But it was enough to distract the Hades from trundling for the focal point. Well done, brave Brave.
As I was able to move a Yari onto the left focal point, overwhelmingly take the right, and get two objectives off, I won 8-6.

Well, that was it for Saturday. I did get a game in on Monday though, and a new day means a new color of PHR. This time, Andy's red.
His list:
Zues and Odin with a squad of Sirens in a Triton
2 Enyos
2 squads of 2 Phobos
1 squad of Immortals in a Triton

I screwed this one up early, by not walking my Havens on, which put my Infantry a turn behind. Luckily I had an extra squad and some good gate cards, which I was able to use to catch back up midgame. He started on his side, working forward, while I used my second turn deploy to drop in the center buildings and work backwards. It seemed to work fairly well, even after he dropped Sirens in a building with my Braves. They hadn't activated yet, though, and so they were able to vacate before CQB. The next turn I did a search and ended up finding explosives, so he didn't following, deciding not to waste a turn on an empty building(which I had monorail linked). On turn five I was able to push one squad of Braves up into his deployment zone, and start on the buildings there. My other Braves jumped into the final center building. My third squads building having disintegrated to Enyos earlier. Those things are stupid at demolition.


On the final turn, I think we were tied, with myself having two units in objective buildings and his Sirens in one for him. He needed an objective or for me to find some explosives to win, as he had me on KP. So, we did both. He found an objective and held it, giving him two points, while I got some intel and an explosion to the face, giving me only one. So, my first win versus Andy turned quickly sour, and I lost, yet again. In this game, I managed to find three sets of explosives and we both found one objective. My Recon luck blows.

Anyway, three great games. I am hoping to get a Scourge game in tomorrow, but we will see. I did miss the Malifaux league due to work, but as I have this Sunday off, I hope to get in several games this weekend, and earn back some points. I also hope to post some hobby progress, as, with the move, has been kind of slow. On a related note, until I get internet at the new place, I have to head to the old one to post, so things may be slow and sporadic around here, but I hope to keep on top of things.

No comments:

Post a Comment