Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Life after Genghiscon

So, I finally posted my everything leading up to Genghiscon, but I am still not caught up. Even with inclement weather, I have still gotten games in, joined a league, and painted more Relic Knights, all with life banging on the door. But life is life, and this is a gaming blog, so, buzz off, life, we're on to the games!

One of the guys from the Genghiscon Zombie Crawl drove up from Aurora(holy crap!) to get in some Malifaux. Unfortunately, due to weather and no extended gaming, we only were able to give him part of a game. He, Chad, and I all set out to play one of the Strategy and Scheme deck three player missions. Chad got the short end, having to defend the center with a Misaki crew. I had take Leveticus the other guy brought out Jacob Lynch(sorry, terrible with names). I never found out the Lynch player's strategy, but mine was to collect markers from the Ancient Monument, and gain a point for each model with a marker at the end. Chad had to place a marker in base with the Monument each turn. He got a slap to the face sandwich which mauled his crew, and left him too spread out to get any points. I had largely pushed past the marker, so I was in a good position to grab full strategy points, and I also was in a good spot for my schemes. Again, not knowing the Lynch player's mission, I am not sure I would have won, but I was confident. Sadly, we will never know. But I'm gonna call it a win anyway.

Due to snow, the Relic Knight league start was postponed. But, this last weekend, extended gaming and the league were back. Saturday started with playing Cody using his Yan Lo starter box versus my Viks with two Ronin, Taelor, the Malifaux Child, and a couple upgrades in a 30 stone game. I built my crew blind, since he was running his everything. But, we flipped Reckoning, so it all worked out. He braced Yari early, but I was able to use the Viktorias' abilities to get into combat anyway. He did manage to get up on me for strategy and took and got Assassinate. He had forgotten to take a second scheme, so he would take Kill Protege, but Taelor would live. I was able to get all for my announced A Line in the Sand. I also caught up on Reckoning, coming into the end of 5 with a tied game. But, I had an ace up my sleeve, and my lonely, off to the side Ronin, scooted forward and dropped a scheme marker for Protect Territory, nabbing me one for that and the win.

Afterwards, on the same table, Shane and I set up for Relic Knights. Shane is another of my converts to the game, and this was his first game, and he was running his brand new Doctrine. This was also my first game with a fully painted cadre, which was pretty cool. We both had the Law primary, Secure Perimeter, but I had Assassination on his Novitiates and he had Defense of Life on his Librarian. I showed a little bit of twitchyness, which likely drew the game out for as long as it went. Shane also showed some indecision on his strategy. Being his first game, I don't blame him. He didn't put his Librarian into the queue near often enough, especially for the long trek he had. Also, two players both having Secure Perimeter makes that one almost impossible, since hampering your opponent is also drawing you closer to victory. I finally decided that Perimeter was out, and my only real option was Assassinate, so off I went. First, I hit and towed one of the Novitiate into the open, and away from the squad. It wasn't enough to stop them from regrouping before their action, but it did put one in LoS of Marie. I then just continued to punish them until they finally crumbled, giving me a straight 6 points, and the game. A kind of brutal first game, but I am sure he will be back next week with a whole bag of payback with my name on it. And I do love getting payback from people. It means I get more games.

And the the League! My first(and only) game was versus Nate and his Black Diamond. I know what BD does, at least the starter, from all of my demo games, so I felt good about the gaming heading in. However, I didn't play very strong. At first I misunderstood how the Prismatic mission worked, and thought I had to get the marker, hold it, then I could drop it on my next activation with that model. I also had Conservation and Siege. He had Secure Perimeter and Assassination. What I should have done is use Marie on turn one for the Prismatic, instead of trying to drop a Speed Boost, then just walked the Wrecker in, to beat on the Diamond Corp, which were blocking on of his Secondary Objectives. Instead, I tried to Conserve, then realized I couldn't get to the third marker, contemplated Secure, decided late on Prismatic, scored that, got Laptime, and was walking back with the Wrecker to try and kill the Tnk to get my final point. Meanwhile, he followed my Prismatic, and was able to also get it, at the end, Assassinated my Wrecker(bad choice for me) and won the game 7-5 with a 6 point goal. It looks like a super close game, with me just one point from the win. However, it was not. I had lost the Wrecker, only had one Secure marker, the Pit Crew were primed to Repair a Wrecker that was no longer there, and he had to much deck left for Siege, and I still had 3+ activations of Marie-Claude to finish the tank. I had ground to a halt, again, within one point of victory, again. I need to learn to assess my scenarios at the beginning on the game, decide the strongest Lap Time choice, and the strongest option to finish my points, whether its destruction or another scenario. Until I can do that, I am going to continue to get hung up. On the games where I do set priority and order, I come out on top, the ones I don't... well, see above.

I am getting pulled to deliveries this next Sunday, so I may or may not be able to play any league games. On a side note, after the game, even with a loss, I was winning the league, due to paint points. However, that changed quickly, when Matt started discussing the league objectives, which, since I hadn't killed anything he had, gave him a ton of points for one. Everyone else likely managed two games as well, so I fell further behind. But I never set out to win, once again it just comes down to I just can't make Sundays regularly or long enough to properly compete. And since that is not why I join, who cares?

It's all for the fun of the game. After all, if it was all about winning, I would have given up a LONG time ago. Till next time...

Losing is the best teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment