Thursday, April 9, 2015

Jacob Lynch double header

This past Saturday I played a double header versus a pair Lynch players, followed that up with a Bolt Action game, and then rounded out the weekend with some Relic Knights on Sunday. With a Malifaux tourney coming up in Longmont this weekend, I was glad for the practice. The Bolt Action was to give Nabors some tourney practice for one he has on the same day. The Relic Knights is for a league that I should be practicing for.



Game one was versus a guy by the name of Nathan, who has been driving up from Aurora to come play with us. That is just nuts, but totally awesome. I think he is fairly new, at least I am guessing from some of the things he said this last weekend. He is running Lynch, Huggy, pair of Depleted, pair of Illuminated, a Beckoner or two. It was Reckoning, so out came the Viks. Plus Miss Demeanor, Taelor, two Ronin, and the Malifaux Child. I took Frame for Murder on Viktoria of Blood and Kill Protege on Graves. We basically set up down main street. I bided my time, and waited for him to move forward, focusing my killing on the side Graves was moving down. Miss Demeanor held the General store towards the left, while the Malifaux Child followed Vanessa up the left. The Viks faced most of the opposition, but he mostly came across as a wave. I charged forward, removing a Depleted and an Illuminated for my turn two Reckoning, then I charged Taelor into Graves to prep him for turn three, the Red Jokered damage, killing him outright. On turn three, Miss Demeanor killed one of the Illuminated, which was his Frame for Murder, giving him two points. He eventually used Lynch to kill Vik of Blood, netting me three for my Frame. At this point, I am up 7 - 2, and add to that my turn three Reckoning, but he takes down Vanessa and also gets turn three. On turn four, he gets a Ronin, but can't get the second kill, while I Red Joker damage again, killing an Illuminated, pick up a second kill, and get a third point for Reckoning. Turn five rolls in, and its Vik of Ashes in bad shape, but the rest of my crew in pretty good shape, versus Jacob Lynch. I was afraid he had Assassinate, but it turned out it was a good thing, because Ash died. Turned out he had Protect Territory. The game ended on five, going to me 10-3. An awesome game, I really like Nathan as an opponent, he takes a beating well, which is a good sign. You have to be able to take a beating to stay focused when things go south. I look forward to watching him grow as a Malifaux player. Provided he keeps making the insane drive, that is. Oh, and the picture above is from my right side, I deployed to it's left.

Game two was versus Mike S, who was also playing Lynch. I took Levi with bones so I could bring two Crooligans and two Necropunks. The Necropunks were awesome, the Crooligans, while a bit of an annoyance for Mike, largely weren't used.

This game went fairly badly for Mike. I was able to push hard and pick his crew apart. My models that had Brilliance died when he didn't need them to, and nothing had brilliance when Huggy went down.

I also took Izamu. He did less than the Crooligans. At least the Crooligans were up front, drawing fire. Izamu just moseyed up, arriving too late for the party, and basically putting me 10 stones down.

In the end, Mike was basically wiped out. I killed everything, except a single Beckoner that I needed for Take Prisoner. A pretty rough game. I was just able to target the right things at the right time.

Sunday was a Relic Knights game versus Rowan. He brought Noh, I, of course, brought Cerci. This was a 35 point game, so I dropped my Pit Crew, and picked up a squad of Belles and a Pacer. I think I defeated myself early on. I pulled Grand Conjunction and immediately wrote it off as impossible. Maybe it was, maybe, in hindsight, it wasn't. Part of the reason it wasn't was because of the game Rowan decided to play.

He pulled Assassinate, and this largely set the tone. I used the Pacer to block his Slave Raid, but he was still intent on killing me. All of me. I was looking to get points, but it quickly got to the point, even though I had my secondary and faction scenarios, that I just didn't have the killy(any more) to bring down any of his models and had put myself into a position to be unable to complete Conjunction.

In the end, the game became very, very dumb. I had realized that I could load Marie with held Esper, and she could use it to recover and heal, basically making her unkillable, even if he focused everything at her. Everything he had could just deflect or get armor high enough to largely ignore me. He continued to doggedly chase me for a tabling. That would never happen. I voiced my own feelings of the idiocy of the game, me dancing to live, him single mindedly trying to kill me. Eventually it forced him to do his scenarios, for which I could not stop him. He won, 9-7 or something. A good game that quickly degenerated into a silly mess, once I realized I had no way to win.

Sorry for the lateness of getting this out, it is like a month old, and I have a couple more weeks yet to post, plus hobby progress, including a tournament. I hope to get those up soon, but don't hold your breath, as you would probably die.

Until some time in the near or distant future...

No comments:

Post a Comment