Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Not quite dead

So, it has been a little while since I last posted. Partly due to distraction, partly due to my video card dieing. I managed to get in a few games in the interim, all of which were 40K. I played Shea's Tau, Collin's Dark Angels, and jerked my way through part of a game versus Space Wolves. I won't discuss the last, I was tired, I was hungry, I was grumpy, and I screwed the pooch early. I finally called it on turn 3, after I realized my DPs should have been dead much earlier. I challenged a rematch at a time when I was a decent opponent.


To be honest, I don't remember a ton of these games, it has been a little while. In the game versus Shea I mostly just went screaming across the field, dumped into his face and went nom nom. Shea was using his old army and isn't really in the Tau groove. I, however, played Tau for WAY too long, so I knew fairly well their weak spots, even if I was rusty. Shea also spread across the table edge, allowing me to piece meal his force. I started in early on the Riptide, but never really could get it finished off before other targets took priority. Also, as an objective mission, I was able to basically lock Shea onto his back edge, leaving the board for my troops to take control.

My game versus Collin was very similar. At least in the fact that I had heavy board control. This game started very slowly, with deployment confusion, over thinking, and just general slowness. As we were in a time crunch, looking at about 2 hours, I started out assuming a 3 turn game. I was pleasantly surprised we actually finished turn 5. Though Collin clearly wanted more turns, it wasn't going to be possible. He survived my firepower fairly well, but not without me being able to force/lure him back towards his table edge. He munched a large part of my army, surviving fairly well, like I said, but at the end of 5, he was on only one contested objective, I had the 10 points of objectives(Scouring) and he had First Blood(shocking) and 3 points for objectives, giving me a healthy win. There  was some contention over what would have happened on 6, but as it was basically a tournament style timed game, it was largely mute.

I know I said I wasn't going to talk about it, but here is a quick run down of my Space Wolf game. To start with, on the bottom of one, I shot with my Rhinos, thus not being able to turbo in the way of my Chosen, even though they were set up for it. Yeah, that is where I was going into this one. He was using proxies, and more so than I had thought he was, mistaking Thunder Wolf Cav for Terminators(which the models were). I thought the bikes were Cav. Which they were. *head explode* Hey, long day, no real food in 12 hours, kids trying to play their own game, ROAR!!! Anywho, the game went that direction. I charged the terminators that are now str 5 cav with thunderhammers and fists, spaced instant death for a bit, realized my error, DPs should have been long dead, freeing Cav, and likely munching WAY more of my army. I just called it, I was probably giving one of the worst games I ever had, and being super sporting about it(not). In my "long" career in gaming, if there is one thing I have learned about myself, its when I just need to walk away. Both for myself and my opponent. To top things off, I knew before it started I shouldn't play this game, but being as it would be my only game, I HAD to persevere.... Right?



As an aside, I had mentioned distractions at the beginning. Well, I have been building a robot. It is mostly just a ball of wire tank that I can control remotely, but it is moving forward. I hope to have updates and such over at my new other blog, CWRobotics. As with my hobby progress, don't get your hopes up. I plan to get my first post up soon, and many should follow soon after, since, as my computer kapoopped, I have a load of pictures to add.

No comments:

Post a Comment