Thursday, February 2, 2017

Arms build up

So, I am preparing for an invasion, a winter invasion. In a couple of weeks, I will be headed to Winter Invasion 2017. It will be a 999point Dropzone Commander three round tournament. I have never done a Dropzone tournament, so it should be interesting. As such, I figured I should probably get a few games of DzC in before the event and hopefully come up with a decent list.

My opening list:
Court of Elders
    Coyote
        Shaltari Elder
    3 Yaris
        Microwave Gun
Swordpoint
    2 Tarantulas
    3 Kukris
Warrior Clan
    2 Braves
    2 Braves
Warrior Clan
    2 Braves
Warfist
    Jaguar
3 Edens
3 Havens

His list:
2 Zues lvl 3
2 Enyos
2 squads of an Ares and a Phobos
2 units of Immortals in Junos
All in Neptunes

The mission was Command and Control from book three. At this level, we each had a Critical Location on our side that gave us -1 on the search for the two objectives if our commander was withing 3". The objectives were located along the center line center of each side, in large buildings. We played with hardened buildings, as I believe that is what tournaments are doing.
Turn one was moving up into range to enter the buildings, and getting things on the board. I went for both buildings, he went for the one on my left. Control of the building on left came down to initiative and who could get the left building first. Unfortunately, he won initiative, but surprised me by activating an Ares/Phobos on my right to target my scouts. This meant I was able to activate my double group of Braves, dropping the unit in the right building using a scout gate card. For the building on the left, I used an Eden and a Haven. I tagged in another Eden and Haven, so that I could still drop on the right if he had an Espionage card. He responded by taking out my Haven on my right. This would limit my mobility later, when I really needed a shift. My Tarantulas jumped up on a building on my side in the middle of the field, but were unable to take any shots.

However, this set me up to move my Tarantulas up on turn three and target a Phobos from each squad. This was less a strategic decision, and more just sight and luck. The Tarantulas both critted, which ended Nabors's anti-air. My Kukris ate some dropships, as they were the only available targets. They can't hurt hardened buildings, and everything else he has is too tough. My Jaguar sent a shot at the Enyos, and did one point of damage. He did a great deal of damage to a building in the center which was large and blocking LoS to my backfield. I finally pulled my last squad of Braves from space to back up the combat in the left building. He moved across to put his other squad in the right building.

On turn four, I finally found my objective on the left, but I had moved my Yaris to the right, hoping to snag that one then book. This meant that I gave my objective to the Haven, which seemed like the right idea at the time. In hindsight, it left two squads of Braves stranded after they finished off the Immortals locked in CQB. Curses. The other squad failed to find their objective for the rest of the game.And also got a little munched, but not before the end.

We called the game before then end of the last turn as late night is no more for a while, again. *sigh* In the end, the Critical Locations were meaningless, as we both placed our command units on them from the start and, thus, had equal points. The only other point was my Haven racing for the edge, but not making it. I should probably have loaded into an Eden and sent that off, allowing me to return my Haven and transfer troops. Ah, well, lesson learned. Assess which gates are still super important and act accordingly. But, holding it is still worth a point. So, the game ended, a 6-5 win for me. Which wasn't actually the point.

The point was if the list would work. I do feel two Tarantulas are better than three Tomahawks. Six Tomahawks is a useful threat, but three just doesn't put out the hurt. Tarantulas can also be a little weak at times, but with their inverse to damage rolls, they can be really good at taking out harder targets. On the other hand, the Jaguar is going away. Also, one Yari, and all of the Microwave guns. Don't get me wrong, I loves my Yaris, and the microwave guns could, maybe, be useful, but I need the points. The Jaguar doesn't bring as much as I need to the list. The two shots are somewhat scary and it lasts a bit, but the AA is pretty covered by the Kukris. And, with the drop to the Yaris, I can swap in a Firedrake. My hope is that I will be able to neuter my enemy's AA and run amok. The template can be scary, and also counts a Demo if it comes to it. It also has the tail cannon for anti-infantry or anti-tank in a pinch. And who can forget the its scary 'rawr' factor. Which can also be used to hide its very useful gate factor. And at the very least, it will be fun and fast.

With that in mind, I hope to get in another game next weekend, trying to get back into the right mindset. I may find the Firedrake a complete waste. As the only likely change remaining to the list, it will be easy to decide. The question becomes whether I, myself, will be ready.

Of course, while winning would be nice, getting to play games of Dropzone and chat Dropfleet may be the real prize.

Catchya next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment