Sunday, November 7, 2021

Infinity: Need for Speed

I have recently been playing a lot of Infinity. It has definitely become my main. I spend every other Thursday night drive to and from Westminster just to get a game. I have not been great about pictures, though. I do have a couple back burnered reports that just need pictures added, though. We will see if they make it past draft.

This game, however, was not in Westminster, but actually Greeley. I had met a guy I used to play with there to reteach him the game, and one of the employees suggested I join them on Sundays. Which, of course, is the worst day for me. However, I was able to drag Dylan along on Halloween and get a game. He played somebody else, I actually ended up playing that very same employee.

He, Tom, took Steel Phalanx, and I took... wait for it... Aleph. Originally, I wrote this up for Loss of Lieutenant's Need for Speed contest, but I took Penthesilea because I painted her, she looks awesome, and I REALLY want to make her work. I may be getting there.


My list - Aleph: gr0FYWxlcGgOQmUgQWdncmVzc2l2ZSCBLAIBCQGCSAEFAAKAtwEDAAOCTAEEAASCYwGIYQAFhGoBAQAGgLcBBQAHglQBAgAIg7YBAgAJhJYBAgACBQGCUwEBAAKCUwEBAAOCUQEBAASCWwEEAAWCUAEBAA==

Asura - Lt Spitfire

Danavus

Aspara - Rem Driver -> Samekh

Myrmidon

Penthesilea

Dart - Viral bow

Evo Hacker Probot

Dakini - Paramedic

Dakini - Grenade Launcher


Samekh

Lamedh

2 x Netrods

Ekdromoi



His list from memory - Steel Phalanx:

3 Myrmidons

4 Thorakites

Atalanta

Machaon

Hector


Mission: Annihilation


Aleph won the roll and took initiative.


I deployed my Samekh, Dakini paramedic, Lamedh, and Danavas to the left, Asura and Myrmidon on the center, and the Apsara, Penthesilea, Dart, and Probot on my right. He deployed 3 Myrmidons + Machaon + Hector for a link on his right, Thorakites on his left behind a building that had Atalanta on with guarded by the last prone Myrmidon.



Turn 1 - Aleph:

I cautious moved the Myrmidon across Atalanta’s LoF, then put smoke up for the Asura. The Asura moved up beside a building to peak out and shoot one of the Thorakites dead. Then she moved a little farther and shot Atlanta through a blizzard. TR my foot. Atalanta went unconscious. I then did some shifting, moving Dart and Penthesilea up the right, then put them, the Asura, and the Dakini paramedic into suppressive fire. I also misplayed the Samekh, thinking it had speculative fire, wasting an order moving it close. Finally, I placed the Lamedh up by where his Myrm team would come through. Guess who has stealth… oops.


Turn 1 - Phalanx:

He moved up the Myrmidons and Machaon, but left Hector back, since the stealth on the Myrmidons allowed them to keep from getting hacked. A Myrmidon steps out, I fail to spotlight, am able to stun him, but the Lamedh dies. Probably should have dodged. Machaon moves up and removes stun. The pain train keeps moving, coming around and killing the Samekh that was out of position. Then comes around the corner at the suppressive Dakini medic, but Hector is +3 for range and -6 for suppressive and mimetism while the Dakini is +3 for range as Hector was out of cover. The grenade launcher Dakini is right there, so he dodges to stand. Hector decides to move into cover, then giving the medic +3 -3, but takes out the grenade launcher who was trying to drop on the rest of the link. The turn finishes with Hector shooting at the medic and failing, but then acing his armor rolls.


Turn 2 - Aleph:

I start by walking on the Ekdromoi, hoping to take Hector’s team from behind. I move in and the Myrmidon in the back breaks link to shoot, while the rest dodge. My chain rifle doesn’t manage to do anything, but the link loses sixth sense, which was the main goal. My Myrmidon throws smoke, and the Asura walks in behind to kill the Myrmidon that broke link. She then continues to take down Machaon. With the loss of burst, I am fine leaving the Dakini on guard. The Asura then moves back to guard the other side in case the link decides to circle. This turns out to be a bad choice, as I thought LoF was blocked to the Thorakites, but was quite wide open. The Danavus drops a pitcher next to Hector, but can’t get a spotlight off.


Turn 2 - Phalanx:

Hector decides that he really wants that Dakini gone. He starts shooting it, while taking Spotlight attacks from the Danavus. Which fail. He does take wounds, but his still running strong. Finally he gets tired of the pitcher and gives it a shot, which kills it, but the Danavus finally lands spotlight. Now the Dakini is on 14s to his 10s on equal dice and just keeps winning. My opponent switches tactics and decides to use the Thorakites. His first Thorakitai moves out, is out of arc of the Asura, and makes her gone. Yep, that was on me. Then he moves a feuerbach out to shot Penthesilea. Season 13 is awesome. Penthesilea with a combi, in suppressive, in cover is shooting on +0, but is -12 to hit back before range. The Thorakites decides to dodge, but doesn’t make it. That pretty much ends the turn.


Turn 3 - Aleph:

I am in Loss of Lieutenant, fitting. I have two regular orders, due to my netrods. Time for that speed. Penthesilea uses her order to go flying forward, moving up on the two remaining Thorakitai. She uses my first regular to clear the corner, but not make base. My opponent assumes nanopulser, which is fair, since that is what I was gonna do. But then I change to combi to make the rolls face to face. Penthesilea kills the closest one, but the other one makes his armor. Penthesilea then moves into base, uses her monofilament and takes out the second one. Dart moves up to keep an eye on the prone Myrmidon who was guarding Atalanta, in case he decides to try to take out Penthesilea. The Myrmidon moves to guard the corner if Hector decides to close on the Dakini. The Dakini wastes its order, cause this suppressive is working out. The rest just reposition, and I pass turn.


Turn 3 - Phalanx:

With just three models and five orders, stupid Hector, my opponent starts with Hector. Hector decides to move away from the Dakini, tired of the whole thing, moving off and throwing some parting shots. The Dakini also decides its done playing, and so, kills Hector. With his Lieutenant dead and only two Myrmidons left, my opponent calls it.


End game:

I made a few mistakes, but overall, I think it went well.

But what really matters was the speed. I generally run plenty of Dakini and other remotes. So I have a lot of 6-4 mov. The Lamedh was definitely useful in this, since I was able to the repeater way far forward and waste orders. Nevermind the whole stealth thing. Penthesilea, however, has been giving me trouble. In previous games, I just really haven’t found a use for her. Her gun was too weak, or I couldn’t get her moved into melee, or she just did nothing. In this game, however, she went wild. I think it was partly due to using her later in the game, but also getting -6 mimetism, -3 cover, and -3 suppression all stacked together. Ignoring everything else, that makes her hard to shift. Add to that that I can get her there in one or two orders, she was a boss. I have only had her painted since right before Season 13 dropped and have been trying to make her work in pretty much every game since. Now, I plan to take her in a desperate attempt to get her, to actually using her effectively.


Speed is the best.


The game went 9-3 to me, with 163pts of Aleph on the table vs 41 pts Phalanx. Breaking a 7 game losing streak.


No comments:

Post a Comment