Saturday, January 29, 2011

morale VICTORY!!!

I WIN!!! Not really. It was actually a draw. But it was against IG and Roll dice and tie. A sixth turn would have pry seen me lose though, as he would have been able to contest my objective, which would have left it 0-1. I did some things differently, some worked, some not so much.


To start out with, I deployed my Thousand Sons in Rhinos per usual. My objective was in a ruin, and I set up my Rhino on either side. The Rhinos were just bring your own cover, though one managed to come through the first turn with a weapon destroyed, and tons of shaken results for my missing gun. I also deployed my Daemon Prince behind the same ruin, which is not a first, but a better deployment than usual. I also deployed both squads of Obliterators, one in each corner in the open, on a hill. The deploying was sound, the deployment was not. I was hoping to cover the field, while forcing him to split to take them out. He also had Valkyries(or Vendettas) on either side, and I was hoping to take them down quick. I did manage to wreck the one on the left, but the one on the right lived till the end. I think if I had deployed them in the ruins with my objective they would have been more useful and benefited from a 4+ cover save. However, it would have allowed his army to come completely towards my objective, which would have hurt me later, I believe. The Terminators with the Sorcerer Lord reserved for Deepstrike, along with the Lesser Daemons of course.
To stand a chance, I knew I had to huddle on my objective the whole game. Basically, go for the draw. The only hope I had of winning was to move units, likely Terminators or Prince, into contest range to win that way. I don't have the troops or models to be able to assault a defended objective, especially one guarded by that many models.
My first issue in the game actually came from my Obleterator's success. I had second turn, and lost a Oblit on each side. The one on the left was able to take down the Valkyrie on that side, but that was also the side my Prince was on, and the target he wanted to eat. Suddenly he is standing in the open with a dumb look on his face. I tried to run him, but only rolled a 2, which didn't do enough to get him to safety. With him in the open, I didn't have high hopes for his survival, but he made it through enough to wreak havoc the next turn, THEN die.
My Oblits on the right didn't do as well, and were unable to take down the Valkyrie, and the second one died to shooting from the passengers when the disembarked. The Oblit on the left lived through the entire game, and, after the Vendetta, mostly just kept Chimeras from shooting, though I forgot to shoot his Plasma Cannon on a turn, but the following turn he did use it to some effect.
My Thousand Sons squads did well enough, with one holding the objective, while the other moved off in a ill conceived attempt to contest the other objective. By other unit, I mean single guy whose sorcerer had fed himself to the warp. That was a them of the game, both Aspiring Sorcerers died to it, and the Sorcerer's only wound was from Perils. *sigh*
My Lesser Daemons came in, killed a squad, then soaked up most of my opponent's firepower before dieing. It was rather impressive actually, well worth the points.
My Sorcerer and his Terms deepstruck deep into enemy lines, forsaking the icon for a chance to do some damage. They nearly wiped a squad, then took serious causalities, so that when I could assault, all I had was my icon and my Lord. They multi assaulted, hoping to take the HQ Chimera out, while staying locked in combat. They stayed locked in combat at least. The Icon bearer died on the charge turn, but the Sorcerer was able to keep on, living through the game, and sending the squad running.
In the end, I had 8 models left on the table, but still held the draw. More than happy with the results. Some things I would have changed: Obliterator deployment, they needed to be somewhere safer. Daemon Prince moving out to take the Valkyrie. While I couldn't have known that I would so completely take the Valkyrie down, I should have taken into account that even if I had charged it, I would still be ripe for counter fire. I should have held him in cover and out of sight for another turn. More of that Obsessive Aggressive coming through. Other than that, my play was pretty solid. My objective could have been farther back, but didn't really matter in the end. I should have gone after the objective more with my Terms instead of the command Chimera, but it was to juicy a target, had I been able to crunch it, the squad inside would have been 10 bonus points at Genghis. A win would have also been 10 points over a draw. Who thinks of these things? Obviously, not me.
Still need to focus on not over playing my hand, but I can do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment