Monday, March 26, 2012

State of the 'faux... and some Tau


BEHOLD, MORE MALIFAUX!


In a dizzying array of games, I managed to play four games of Malifaux on Saturday. The first was against James. We flipped randomly and ended up with the Carved story encounter from GenCon. With the up in SS pool and the changes to bury, I went ahead and added in four SPAs. This meant I could test my Desolation Engine Bette Noire delivery system. WOW! Stall stall dance merge kill slay. Oh, yes, indeed. With the scenario, we had all the Boomtown building in a long line, with him to front, me to back. This meant he had doors on all three buildings. In the end, it didn't matter, nothing happened in the Jail, the only building without two doors. He moved on the center with Lady J and an executioner and the building on the right with a Death Marshall and the Judge. Meanwhile, I'm stalling, moving the canine, the waife, making a new waife with Leve, moving new waife. After he moves Nino over to better cover the aisles and his crew, blam, I spring into action. Without any threat from his crew this turn, my SPAs twirl between the two buildings he made a move on. I pondered which pair to take, but between my fear of Lady J and the cursed slow to die executioner, going the other way was an almost no brainer. It better than I had hoped. Desolation goes first, finishing the activation from the SPA, moving and one shotting the Marshall, giving Bette fast. Bette charges the Judge, and kills him. Wow! Half his crew gone. Nice. Afterwards, the DE dies, and I make nuisance of my SPAs, firmly distracting James. One waife tries the middle building, gets positive flip, Bette does other building, with positive flip, Carver appears. James gets first activation, but I put him far enough back to have Bette out of reach. I manage to kill Executioner with Leve, Lady J wrecks some SPAs and puts Bette away. I get control of Carver, who charges Lady J, she of course Ripostes, dirty whore, mild damage thanks to Carver's crap. Next turn, I blast in with Leve, not caring which I hit. It's Carver. He dies. I know shocker. Now its a hunt for Lady J. He moves out of cover to get away, not sure if I think it was a bad idea, or even mattered. In the end I got her, 8-0. I think it shook James, but really the cards just went my way, and I doubt the Bette delivery will be ss effective next time.
Speaking of effective, in game two I faced Pandora. DE Bette did again, slaying Teddy. That was about the only highlight, though. Next turn, I killed a lurking Kade easy peasy. In the end it was only Pandora, but what else did she need. It basically came down to me needing to kill her, but she managed to escape by forcing Leve to fall back two turns in a row. It was shared Slaughter, and she managed to kill Leve once, sigh. I was charged with killing Pandora by several people, not least whom was Mica, the Pandora player. I will need a rematch.
Game 3 was once again against Kirai, and in a non-league game. 30ss, she took Datsu Ba, Shikome, 3 Gaki, 2 Seishin, and the lost love. I took the Hooded Rider, Bette, Canine, and 4 SPAs. She had Plant Evidence, I had Escape and Survive. I didn't take my dirty trick, but I should have. I used all of my scrap counters in this game. And she still had 1 more model than she started with! I did manage to get my schemes, but I'm not sure if it was because she got bored, or just forgot about them, because in the final turns, she devoted far to many models to her strategy and nothing to killing Leve. In hindsight, I probably could have used that to bring a DE out and get my strategy. Would have tied as she took 2 stones. Ah, well.
Game was versus Shaffer. He had been having trouble with his Rasputina crew, so I told him I would play him with the Viks and give him pointers. I left Taelor out in the open, just so he could see how some of his spells worked, of course he got the double blast and dropped a nearby Ronin to 1 wd. I charged in the Viks, getting whirlwind and eating most of his crew. He killed the Viks with only Rasputina left. I still had Miss Demeanor behind a rock, so I thought I still had it. An initiative flip his way, and game over. I still got both of my schemes, he got everything. Pretty fast game, only an hour and a half, and I think he took some good pointers away from it.


I also was able to get a game in on Sunday. It was with a bunch of guys I hadn't seen in a while. We played two vs two, a friend played my CSM while I played Tau. The other team was Space Wolves and Tyranids. 3 objectives, pretty straight forward. I tries to not play my friends force and just make suggestions, I think I did alright, but could have been better. In the end, I jumped the gun, totaling points half a turn to early. They finished the turn, claiming the win, even with a couple notable mistakes. I shouldn't have pointed out my confusion on when the Nid player moved his Zoanthrope. A pretty awesome day, and a great weekend, though next weekend I'm taking Sunday off and going to the movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment