Saturday, April 7, 2012

State of the 'faux and some Infinity


Woo! I won another Malifaux tournament. Lost it, too. Ok, so it didn't really happen and yet still saw the passing of a great Henchman.

Alright, so everyone missed out on a great tournament. Even me, cause it didn't happen. Nate is a great guy, and he will be stepping away from Henchmaning till at least next year. He will be missed, and I wish him the best.

However, it wasn't all a Malifaux bust weekend, I was able to head back to Fort Collins and get a game in versus Mica's Pandora crew. I think I played a much better game and, possibly, Mica played a worse one. I had Leveticus, Bete, a rotten belle, a canine remains and four SPAs. She had Pandora, Teddy, Baby Kade, Kandy, and two Sorrows. She was doing Treasure Hunt with Spread Madness and Kidnap(of course). I had Contain Power(versus Pandora, Yikes!) with Kill Protege on Teddy and Hold Out. She moved Teddy up towards the treasure early, far enough for me to lure him with me belle, setting him up for Leveticus to turn him into an SPA and leave my SPA bomb free for doing other things. Then she moved Kade and Kandy forward, together, up close to the treasure. I then used three SPAs to bring the squad forward, while on the third ones move putting three in base with the summoned SPA off Teddy, so he could slow move them even farther, and using the last SPA to bring out the Desolation Engine and Bete right on top of Kade and Kandy and still leave one back on the treasure. The hope was to kill with engine and give Bete fast, didn't happen, but I was able to bring both Kade and Kandy down a bit, to almost dead. Start of two, I got initiative and used the Engine to kill Kandy, which, I think, put Mica on a back foot mindset that she never recovered from. This gave Bete fast, but than she got Pacified, then killed, but eventually brought out, but still pacified, but finally used it at the end of the round, wiffed and over. Bete managed to live the whole game, even managing to kill Kade to deny treasure hunt. Leveticus brought Pandora down to one wound and went to kill her, but I forgot she could pass to sorrow, and thus lived. Though, now that I think about it, I'm not sure it should have killed sorrow. Anyway, I ended up taking Leveticus into melee with Pandora and using his trigger to get a triple positive flip, and do twelve damage, guaranteeing me a kill and four points for Contain Power. She moved Kade behind a rock, hoping to keep him alive, but I forked, using Waifes, with Bete coming out of one and Leveticus the other, meaning she had no where to go. She went after Bete, hoping for the kill, but whiffing, left her open for Bete to kill Kade, gain fast, and snag the treasure, which she proceeded to remove, leaving Mica without any models. At one point, she almost got Spread Madness, but the lose of the WP duel killed Leveticus, before Self Loathing could, stopping that scheme. In the end, I won 8-2, with her getting her super easy Kidnap. I don't feel Mica's list is terribly hard, competitively, and I think I have found how to counter it. Though, I think if she sets back a bit more so that I can get in range of her stuff, and then comes forward, it will be much harder. Also, she has a tendency to leave Pandora out for me to attack, I think over relying on her WP thing to keep her alive. I may have to play her a suggestion game to try and help.

I also played an Infinity game. It was myself, using Nate's Haqqislam, versus Mike Floyd's PanOceania. It started out great. I managed to get an ARO rocket off, getting a crit and cratering a random dude on his first turn. On my turn I did some manoeuvring. On his turn, I sniped a dude with my sniper, wounding him, and leaving Floyd grumpy. The next shot did nothing, slightly improving Floyd's mood. I again did some more manoeuvring, but also got my close range guy in line to shot the guy I sniped, hoping to finish the job. I did what Nate had told me was a "peek," which Floyd argued was even legal. It kinda became a thing. They went back and forth for a bit, then decided to roll for it, which said I could. Then they kinda argued some more. I said screw it, I can just move my guy up to where he is still hidden from most of Floyd's stuff and can still shoot, but doesn't "peek." I drop Floyd's guy, he fails to ARO hit me, but he has a med pack thing, so he can come back. I use my next order to shoot at him again, but do nothing and move a bit to block another entrance. I now think I have a fair set up to block his advances, cover the lanes of attack, and make a real game of it. Doesn't matter. They are still arguing about a rule I have long since passed beyond, and doesn't have any effect on my game. I manage to try and attempt one more order, have a question about how it works, try and ask Nate, he drops his book and says "well, since you guys know the rules better than me why don't you figure it out"(or something close) and slumps in his chair. Well, now Floyd is pissed that he threw a fit, it escalates, I decide the trash needs taken out. By the time I get back, Floyd is leaving and mumbling about violence. Game over. It started out great, but ended very badly. Spent the next half hour with Nate asking what he did wrong, and Shaffer and I trying to explain that, if he wants to grow Infinity, he has to take himself out of it, and make it about players having fun. Not sure it got through, but, hopefully, he will at least apologise to Floyd, so they can move on and tension won't be so bad between them.
So, only two games played and a giant wall of text. Thanks for sticking around. The picture shows the board after Floyd picked up most of his models, but you can see what I had. Don't ask me what's what, I can only guess. Of course, I forgot to take a picture of the Malifaux game *sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment