Sunday, April 15, 2012

The fun stops here!


Got some games in this weekend, two to be exact. And neither of them were Malifaux! *gasp*


Game one was Warhammer Fantasy versus Matt. He brought his Dwarves, because he was tired of playing High Elves. Fair enough, I was running my new list, and needed to test it both against heavy magic and no magic to see if it would work. We rolled scenario and pulled Watchtower. Then I realised, I couldn't enter the building, my list is all Cav, Chariots, Monsters, and War Machines, no infantry, save a lone Hierophant. A quick read through of the scenario, and I can take it by having the closest unit and it being unoccupied. Possible, but unlikely, ah well, lets go with it, I have flying flaming skulls.
I started with my fake flank move with the heavy horse. He ignored it and took the hill on the other side. Awesome, this meant that the Watchtower and a Haunted Mansion I got to place, blocked the corner I faked to from his artillery. Sweet! I just took the corner. I did fail to put my Screaming Skull Catapults far enough back, allowing him to bring his Miners on turn two and charge my Hierophant basically putting and end to me. I didn't stay as far back in my corner as I had planned, opening myself to a few shots, nothing major, but more than I had planned. Being Dwarves he of course shut down my magic and by turn four, I was wiped from the table.
All in all, I am actually happy with the list. I think if I had forsaken the tower with the majority of my force, and set up across from him and charged head in, I would have done better. It is a come to grips army. At most, he could have had one maybe two turns of shooting before I wrecked his shop. It also taught me to put my catapults closer to the edge, blocking rear attacks from Dwarves and Beastmen.
The last thing it taught me was not to play Matt. His whole plan was to wreck me as much as possible. He knows I have trouble getting through a game of Fantasy as is, but instead of not going straight for my Hierophant and letting me maybe have half a chance and a decent game, he just straight wrecked my shit, and told me how terribly sorry he was for making the game really suck. I play to let him have a game, because very few other people ever bother to. Fantasy is not a popular game, I can't imagine why, but I try to always have my TK there, just to give him a game. After this game, I took my TK home. As happy as I am with the list, and would like to tweak it, test it, and just see what it can do, Matt can screw himself, I'm no longer interested. I have plenty of systems that I enjoy playing more, I don't have to get wrecked to help a guy who, at least seems to be, is a WAAC player.


Just to improve my day, I played a game of Infinity. I think I'm pretty much done playing people so they have someone to play. I put together a list for 150 points, using the Aleph box set. I did upgrade one bot to a sniper and dropped the Naga, as I didn't see his point. I brought in the list, not legal, I need the stupid Naga to field the bots, but he costs as much as two bots, meaning I get him and a non-sniper bot. Woo. So, I trash my list. Nate offers to play me a 150 pt list versus the 170 point list required to field the Aleph box as is. This also meant I didn't get a sniper. I asked what the heck a Hacker does to make him worth his points. He told me he basically was good against TAGs and let me take the bots. He didn't have any TAGs, so it was basically an expensive bot tax. Whatever, lets play. He took longer to deploy than Matt. The whole game seemed really slow to me, and I kept pushing, which I think made Nate go slower. I spent a lot of time sitting, especially for a system that "you are always doing something in." He had the list I ran last week against Floyd, and it included a sniper and a rocket launcher. The rocket launcher didn't do much till the end, but the sniper wrecked stuff. He also had a Medic, so the first guy I killed stood back up. He basically wrecked my day. We had an argument about how stupid the ARO system is, since I can only take my ARO on the first action I see, so I can't wait to see what the second action is, i.e. dodging the guys move. It gives the power to the attacker, though I don't think I ever really got it across to Nate. So, we finally get the game moving again, and lose my leader. Then I lose my Asura and the my Naga, who had become my second leader. At this point Nate decides to bring the Retreat rule, basically stating that I have to start running away, only have two orders, and have to use one on each guy(I only have two) to keep them from running away. I do, and probably start doing the best I had done all game with my two remaining bots, but he had most of his force, so I eventually took a rocket to the face. Game over. Oh, by the way, my Hacker could have shut down the heavy weapon guy with the rocket, basically just shutting down his suit and stopping him cold. After the game, I find out that my useless bot tax could have actually done something. Oh, what fun.
Needless to say, my last two games haven't left me eager to pick up a box. I did learn a few things, mostly about how Nate is explaining things wrong. He says AROs can stop your opponent, they can't they allow him to do more and control your actions. Second, AROs are NOT the action taken, but the OPPORTUNITY to take the action, hence the problem we had last week. This isn't something that occurred to me until later, so I will have to bring it up next week. And the always going thing is wrong. Maybe with a few more games, but it seems to me that the attacker can always decide when the defender gets to "go."
Afterwards, the store was basically closed, so we ended up chatting in the lot for 40 more minutes, so that we could finish the conversation before we went to eat, because I refused to go if we were going to argue about Infinity through dinner. We argued about Infinity through dinner. And after. No late gaming and I didn't get home till after 10:30.
Also, it is very hard for Nate to say that Infinity is awesome with out saying its awesome because this other system sucks. Very, very hard. I even challenged him, and had to show him that I could do it with Malifaux, before he could barely get a couple things off before reverting. Kinda entertaining really.

So, the short of it, I played to not so fun games in systems I don't have a ton of interest in at the moment. Plus, I ripped the ass out of my pants on a chair. And to make things all SUPER special, I didn't get in ANY Malifaux games this week. Makes the whole weekend seem like a bit of a waste, and I have to go to work tomorrow.
Just five more day....

No comments:

Post a Comment