Thursday, May 24, 2012

Why can't I love fantasy?


I played a game with my Tomb Kings versus Troy's Lizardmen. I lost, rather soundly, but it wasn't a bad game. I didn't quit, I didn't even rage. My dice were definitely not hot and I still can't irresistible a spell, but that is what it is. For most of the game I just felt impotent. I did some damage, but nothing spectacular. I of course forgot to roll my wards after I finally got the spell off. All and all a meh performance on my part.
That, however, is not what I want to talk about. The problem I had was that it just wasn't fun. It wasn't a bad game, there just wasn't anything entertaining about it. Troy is probably my favorite opponent in any system. He tests me at almost every turn. This game, though, didn't have that. It was just motions. I don't feel any challenge from Fantasy. You don't need to figure out anything to play. You know the range, the movement, the weapons, the everything. It's a pretty board game. You can't misjudge a distance and be just out. About the only thing is a missed charge, which leaves you open to counter. But you will still be in combat, it just costs a point of static res. Oh, noes. There is a lot of talk about adding more morale to 40K, such as fear, but I can tell you, fear and terror can be all but ignored.

I guess I'm just not interested anymore, and I pray the new 40K isn't just rinse and repeat. Thank the gods for Malifaux, or I may not have anything to play.

No comments:

Post a Comment