Thursday, July 26, 2012

Some belated 'faux


So, on July 14th I played in a tournament at Gryphon's, ran by Frank. An awesome event. Only four of us showed up, but that meant that everyone played everyone. Especially cool was the fact that we all ran different factions, so it worked out for Dead Heat as well. As a bit of a spoiler, I took second, but dropped that in favor of winning Best Painted.

Round one was versus Neverborn and Zoriada. It was shared Destroy the Evidence. I played this one badly. To start with, I took Kill Protege on the Stitched. Um... Yeah. I took 4 SPAs to morph and snag the center, Rusty to guard my zone, a canine, a Belle to pull him off evidence, and Leveticus, cause I love him. He zoomed an insidious madness forward to take the center objective first activation. Well, that trumps my taking it first turn. K, I can still do this. Canine hunts his Silurids, Zoriada dolls Rusty, who does a fantastic job of killing my crew, starting with the Belle. The rest of the game involves me dominating my zone, he can't get close. It's MINE, muahaha! Oh, wait I should probably get some stuff to his zone to get some points and stuff. Nope, to late. I started off super aggressive, with my first wave doing serious damage, but never followed up. My zone was never in doubt, but I failed to follow through, when my DE went down, it was done. Small loss for me, which likely kept me in the running.

Game two was versus Guild. This guy was fairly new. Strategy was Treasure Hunt. This was rough for him. It was mostly me grabbing treasure and eating his crew. Fun guy, but I kinda rolled over him. Felt bad for him, he got it even worse the last game I guess.

Game three was versus Arcanists. A good match for Leveticus. The mission was A Line in the Sand, a good match for the Viks. I swapped back and forth on who to take, and finally chose the Viks. He took Marcus, a master I very seldom see. I won flip and chose attacker. He had Marcus, Jackalope, 3 Night Terrors, and a Shikome. The Shikome gave me pause, having seen what they can do to their prey(Sword Vik). I had a bit of a mental advantage going into this, as it seems their club has three Vik players, and they seem to be on top of the heap and feared. I swung wide with the Viks, up the middle with Miss Demeanor, Taylor and a Ronin took slightly left of center. The Viks munched Marcus, and he lost all his fight. Shikome went down easy. Jackalope was too far back, or Shikome, or something. A beast should have died before Marcus. He was to aggressive with Marcus without support. In the end I took another victory and second.

I even managed to get in a game against Troy last weekend. I pull A Line in the Sand and he had Treasure Hunt. He took Lillith and a pair of twins(that's twins x 2, ooo, fun for me). I took Leveticus, canine, Jack Daw, Hooded Rider, and Alyce. Jack did his job and basically shut down both twins. Hooded got eaten by Lillith, which hurt my strat bad. I should have put more into Lillith, but tried to get my strat instead. In the end, I wrote off my strategy, but was still winning with Hold Out and Stake a Claim. He didn't have the treasure, and I had blocked his Hold Out with Jack. Sweet awesome. Flip for end, nope, keeps going. Went for two more turns, Lillitu took my Hold Out, Lillith took the treasure straight to back corner, other Lillitu could let Jack be, that dirty slut. Only got Stake a Claim. Went from win or possible tie to sever loss. *sigh*
All good games. Tons of 40K is interfering with my 'faux, starting to piss me off. Looks like September before things will cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment