Thursday, November 22, 2012

TMI: Double edition


I managed to get in games over both Saturday and Sunday. Which was really cool, since I was late Saturday, and only got in a couple of games, including a loss as Nids on mission one of Space Hulk. I know, the shame is never ending.


The games on Saturday were versus Patrick, who was proxying some Infinity Ariadna versus my Aleph list. Patrick is looking for a SWAT style move in and neutralize the foe list, but I think he ended up with a more sit back and shoot list. It didn't occur to me until now to mention coordinated orders and link teams. Anyway, on to the game. Game one went pretty straight forward, I moved my TAG up did a bit of damage swept across to the other side, finished my missions and his force. Two brutal turns in, and I had a win. His force removed, mine left untouched. I think I won this game because he had a strong fire base, but took first turn, and tried to adjust it, which left me openings.


Game two went much the same. He went with basically the same list, a similar deployment, but I went first. This game, I circled out to the left, and came at him from the side, again singling out models and take his force piecemeal. This game went much like the first, but with me circumventing his line, which had a much better setup, excepting a weak flank. I was able to put him in loss of LT, hurting him a turn. In the end, my TAG was just taking hits, while trying to destroy his flag. He called it with one model, and me having full points. A couple rough games for Patrick, mostly because his list and what he wants his list to do aren't the same. He admitted as much, and I think he is headed back to the drawing board. I think the main problem is that his plan would be best facilitated by some heavier models, but he doesn't want to give up the order pool. I might look at some Ariadna lists this week, maybe I can give him some ideas.

On to Sunday. Nabors and I met to get some more games in. We started off with a game of Malifaux, 35 stones, Leveticus versus Misaki. I had Claim Jump, he had Escape and Survive. I took Molly, Jack Daw, Belle, Canine, and Lazarus. He had Yamaziko, Ototo, 2 Torakage, and an Archer. I had Hold Out and Bodyguard Molly, he had Save Face and Misaki's Pilfer Scheme. This was a pretty bloody match, with both sides taking heavy hits. I moved Jack Daw up early, and kept him in board center, tying up his crew fairly effectively. With Misaki's crew's superior movement, I was able to take down Ototo early, turning him into a Waife. This left the canine around to make a nuisance of himself, even though he eventually died. Models dying actually led to me basically baiting myself into my big mistake. I became fixated on Molly being able to summon a Crooligan, that I moved her forward, leading to her death. I also don't think I needed the Belle. She didn't do terribly much, but she did use soulstones I could have used on Molly. I built my crew for Leveticus and didn't properly take Molly's needs into account. Nabors played an excellent game, and gave me a hard run till the end. It was on the Boomtown Board, and was a back and forth fight through and through. I thought I was screwed, than I would claw back, I would think I had him, then I was clawing again. In the end it Lazarus really pushed it in my favour, helping me to finish of his crew and move onto the Claim Jump. Due to my mistakes with Molly, I lost Bodyguard giving me 6 to his Misaki's Pilfer Scheme. A great game, no where near the stomping the scores lead one to believe. He is getting the hang of Misaki, and that could be trouble.
Ok, these next two games were super fast, and super brutal, so my reports will be the same. And combined since there differ very little. I moved up, he shot me, I died.
Ok, so there was a little more than that, but not much. Both games were versus Nabors with like fifty Fusiliers and an Orc LT. I ran, of course, my only list. Game one, he took first turn, set up to one side, with a sniper on the other. I tried to move in with my TAG, rolled fantastically aweful, got mowed down, he healed my only damage, and blah blah blah, I demanded a reset.
K, this game was better. Wait, no it wasn't. I was able to get closer, deal a wound to the Orc and knock a guy down. My rolling was imperceptibly better. Then he went, killed my TAG and my Dakini and brought his guy back.
There was much gloating and nose rubbing. It didn't smell pretty. I think I should have challenged the sniper instead of going into his block. I was able to do some minimal picking at his edges, but my dice just wouldn't allow me to do more. I put myself in an Elite force fail situation. Had we had missions, maybe I could have forced him out, but Nabors excels at building a "vault" and guarding it to death. Usually your death. As he is currently my main opponent, I think I am going to get many chances to try different things.

On another note, I am thinking about picking up the Rebots a tier earlier. My list is kinda stale. I enjoy playing it, but I have no room for adjustment. That may change next week when I get my Garuda, and can include it and two more Dakini. And another HMG. We shall see. The Rebots are pricey though, but what isn't in this hobby.

Addictions suck!

No comments:

Post a Comment