Sunday, December 30, 2012

TMI: New army, roffle stomping, and the tournament that wasn't.


A full wekend, starting a little late on Saturday, but finishing up with a pair of Malifaux games in an almost tournament on Sunday.


Played a new army in 40K this weekend. Not mine, Nabors's. He picked up Black Templar. He was running a this is what I have as Black Templar. He had a couple initiate squads, a command squad, a unit of sword brethren, a emperor's champion, a chapter masterish guy, a chaplain. two different predators, and a vindicator. I ran my dual Eldar list with two Farseers and seer council all on bikes, two guardians on bikes, hellions with baron, and a razorwing. The game went fairly well for me early on. I can basically force his models to run towards me, then move some where far far away. I wasn't, however, able to split his force as much as I thought I would be able to. I did single a couple units. Invisibility is really good, especially with Fortune. Even better if I had remembered to use its save properly. It gives a 2+ on jinking jetbikes, which never occurred to me, as I kept using my 3+ armour. The WS 1 in combat was the highlight for me. Even with that though, after I had taken the command squad and killed both of his initiate squads, his sword brethren and a dread, that did almost nothing, managed to tie up the council and kill all the warlocks at the end. We were playing a toned down scouring that I am planning to use at Genghiscon, and with out troops, he couldn't top my two points in my zone. I only had one unit of guardians left, though he did have some land speeders, but one of them died, and the other was stunned, so they were not a threat, though I would have liked to have finished them. In the end, he snagged first blood and linebreaker(from the speeder), I had slay the warlord, and a two point objective. If he could have finished my warlord, he could have tied it, but as it was, he was still a long ways from putting wounds on him. A great game, and I look forward to facing them again. The sword brethren caught me by surprise, taking out so much of my council, even with needing 5's to hit. I can't wait to play Nabors again when he has more experience with the army, and a more than thrown together list.


I mentioned that I got a late start, it wasn't my fault, honest. I showed up before noon, but couldn't get anyone else down until much later. Nabors's and my game didn't start until after 4:00. This meant that we ran until after store close(hey, a new army), so everyone was waiting on us to finish for the next game. Super Dungeon Explore. As the apparent go to for when we have a new expansion and nobody wants to be the Consul, I got the job. And those new heroes look so cool, too. One has a treasure grabbing boomerang! Anyway, I got all the awesome koopas, so who can complain. They can. I feel I should mention that I screwed up, I thought that the shield guys had aura three, and their arm ability is only aura one. That being said, with the shorter range, I have come up with a super nasty setup. I wish I had used it instead, but that's water and a bridge and whatever. Anyway, after making the most crucial mistake they always seem to make, they made the second one they tend to make. They picked a tile that only had one exit. This allows me to build a wall and lock them in that one room. The consul can afford to lock things down and bring it to a grind, the players cannot. They don't get reinforcements. I filled the next tile, I ran out of things to spawn, I killed me some heroes. I also didn't get the new big baddie. Two wounds was all I needed. TWO! Ah the well. There were times when they weren't doing any wounds. I, however, was pretty much always doing wounds. I think I need to learn to fodder. Not that what I'm doing isn't working, I just want my boss. In the end, I of course won, as if the above didn't lead to such a conclusion. I pulled three big monsters when my mistake was realised on the arm range, but they will still chalk it up to me cheating. That's okay anyway, someday I will face a true hero, one that can challenge my might in the dark recesses of my realm. MUAHAHAHAHA!


After some sleep, I headed back to Hobby Town, looking to run a tournament. My hopes weren't high, as two of my players copped out the night before, one's dad was in town, and another was MIA, but maybe somebody actually read the Wyrd forums. Nope. Troy and Patrick showed up, though. And being the sport I am, I gave them each a bye and played them myself. First up was Patrick with his Nicodem crew. He had just picked up a bunch of models the day before, and his crew is starting to come together. We ran the new tournament scenarios since I had them, with him getting the new Recon and I had the new Treasure Hunt. He played a very solid game, but he never moved forward to take any quarters, which is a must, every turn in the new scenario. I took Kang, Rusty Alyce(my new awesome), Ramos, a large spider, and the avatar. A very small crew. I liked it. Rusty gave me the cards I needed to get the Avatar wound up. She is then able to give Ramos reactivate, which will cost him all but one of his wounds, unless he avatars and losses all effects. Yeah, you see where this is going. Kang ran forward, grabbed the treasure, and slunk back to my zone, giving me a point each turn. Rusty sticks with Ramos much easier than Leve, since the latter always bounces too much. I grabbed extra cards all the way up until the turn after I avatared, when I raced off to combat deep in his lines. The large spider also did a lot in this game, taking out several targets. All in all, my incredibly small crew did everything I wanted it to. I did wish I had taken a small spider to kill and resummon, saving two actions on Ramos, but after this next game, I'm glad I didn't.


Okay, so that is what happens when you play Ramos right, here is what happens when you do not. We used the tournament missions again, he had the new Recon, I had the new Line in the Sand. I do not like it Sam I am, I do not like the new Line in the Sand. Before you had six turns to light five dynamites. Now you have three to light three, followed by three keeping them lit. Oh, that sounds easy, if you're as fast as lightning, in which case you had zero trouble with the last one. If not, like I don't know, any of my crews, save maybe the Viks, who would have issues on the keeping lit part, you're double screwed. I had this sense when I first read it, but as a glutton for punishment, I felt the need to try it myself. I took the same list, except I added the small spider I thought I needed in game one. I should have kept the stones. Alyce of course gave me an awesome hand, I was primed for my first turn summons. I killed my spider, grabbed my scrap, had the large spider on one side ready to grab a dynamite and Kang on the other to grab another. Great. Oh, I should mention, I didn't measure the center line, I used the fold in the clothe. Bad choice, it was about an inch farther Troy's way, which caused problems turn two. Not that the mission, the small spider, the bad placement of markers, or even the terrible draws I pulled later had anything to do with my loss, cause I just played badly. I pushed Ramos up so that he could summon the new spider and electrical creation closer to Troy, which put him way out of Alyce's card range. I charged Lillith with my large spider, even after a illusionary forest blocked Alyce from aiding with her fire power, thus moving him away from his intended marker. I left myself wide open to Copelius's attacks, while trying to shoot Tuco with Rusty Alyce from 13" away. I did manage to kill Graves. Beyond that it was a game of just terrible decisions. I don't know where my head was, but at the end of almost every turn, I looked back at the previous turn and wondered what in the name of all that is holy I was thinking. Looking past my obvious failing in play strategy, I think I should have taken swarms, a large spider, possibly Alyce, maybe not the Avatar. I needed more movement and less hitting power. I'm not sure how I could have combated Troy's strategy and still did mine, but since his crew was so small(Lillith, Tuco, Copelius, Graves, and an arcane effigy), he wasn't able to get his points until I was pretty much toast. I do think the kill then summon spider is gone with the addition of Rusty Alyce, who just seems to add so much, and all but guarantees the first turn summons. I'm not sure I even need the toolkit with her in the list, either. I am sure going to give it a few games, but since I'm still waiting on my code, I think I have the time.

I am still looking to stick with Ramos heavily going into 2013, but don't count Leve and the Viks out, I have an Izamu coming and the Oiran aren't likely far behind. I am really enjoying Ramos, and as I look to pick up some more models for him, I will likely be adding elements that will also aide Mei Fang. If arcanists are to be my other faction(I could never be anything but an Outcast, lets be honest), I am going to want a second master(maybe).

No comments:

Post a Comment