Sunday, January 13, 2013

TMI: Lite edition

Fairly light weekend. Mostly due to the first KoGT Demo Day Event. And also, I am currently fighting the plague. The plague meant that I didn't show up until well after noon, and then spent three hours pushing games, which mostly involved me playing Patrick and chatting with any passers-by foolish enough to slow down.

As you can tell from the picture above, my Izamu came in. YAY! As a matter of fact, two came in. Don't rush to the store though, cause they both be gone. As I was headed to the demo table with my new loot, I explained to Patrick(a new resser player) what Izamu did, and before it even hit the shelf, his Nico crew had a new addition. My base for Izamu has been done since mid December, so I proxied using that and Patrick used his blank base from the box. We went with individual strats and both flipped A Line In the Sand. The new one, from the Gaining Grounds update. I took Leveticus, Izamu(of course), 4 SPAs, and 2 Canines. He took Nico, Rafkin, Izamu, 2 canines, and a Flesh Construct. His schemes were Bodyguard and Army of the Dead. I took Kill Protege on Izamu(come on, I gotta) and Hold Out. I quickly saw that his plan for his dogs and mine for my dogs was the same, rush a pair forward and light the dynamite early. Lucky for me, while mine went up a side, making them almost useless after for ignition(explain more later), he ran his up the center my left. This mean that I was able to get in range to turn one of them into a Waife first turn, negating their significant. I also dance forward with my SPAs, bringing out the engine onto another dynamite, igniting it first turn(no points yet, though). This is why the dogs were left out cold, since this meant the next closest one was in the center of the board. I scored the point turn two. Turn three, his Izamu lit the middle objective, then was charged by my DE and Izamu. My Canines lit my second, giving me the point for turn three. Turn four, my Izamu saw an opportunity and ignored his Izamu and charged Nico. I managed to do some damage, but not enough to kill him. My DE tried to smack his Izamu, but mostly just got riposted. Even paired couldn't give me a decent flip, my hand blew, and he seemed to have infinite masks. His Izamu targeted my Izamu this turn, doing some damage, but not much. I lit some more markers, and turn four went to me as well. The DE managed to hit Izamu with good cards. Enough to give me a straight flip with the red joker in my hand. A moderate netted me 10 damage, dropped to 8 by object, but enough to heal my DE up to only 1 wound. Not enough though, as Izamu joker killed him soon after. The Rogue Necromancy that he had summoned previously, and a well placed and expensive disengaging strike from Izamu had gave me turn four's point, turned on and killed Izamu, rather easily. No free to act, the frankencat started unlighting and relighting markers. I made a little chain of blocking Waifes to keep him from the final marker. Rafkin fasted to unlight the DE's marker. Leveticus hid in the building. Turn five's point was a draw, and since Rafkin didn't have the actions to relight the marker, so did turn six's. Izamu also made a run for my zone, but was too short to break my holdout. Had it ended it would have been a 5-4 win to me. However, it didn't end. And as with many games of Malifaux, it came down to one initiative flip. And I won it. I immediately moved Leveticus forward towards Izamu. Izamu was at three wounds, prime killing for Leveticus, but Izamu has object 2. This meant my power spell was doing one damage a shot. I used it any way. Once, twice, then switched to Necrotic Unmaking for the last wound, turning Izamu into an SPA. This shot me up to seven points. Patrick snagged the turn seven point for the strategy, which put him at five. With no way to reach my holdout, it was a win for me.
A great game, I really enjoy playing Patrick. I like facing a(nother?) resser master. Its a load of fun. He is also fairly good at Nico, and as he starts using his spells more, I think it may get ugly. I maybe should have kept my mouth shut about Izamu.


Afterwards, Shane, Troy, and Chad were playing a two on one 40K game, so I tried to get Patrick to play another Malifaux game. He refused. I did manage to con him into a Puppet Wars game though. He took Pandora, I grabbed Marcus, and we used the random crew generator. I have to say, my stuff was expensive. Patrick was easily able to out activate me, and I quickly came to realise that I just wasn't going to be able keep up on work benches. When he moved Pandora forward, I jumped at the chance to kill her with Rusty Alyce. And failed. Twice. Never the less, as I was able to bring heavier hitters, I was killing more, though the Executioner did have a nasty case of cooties. As Alyce backed away, an electrical crack signaled as Joss jumped forward a zapped Pandora, giving me the game in about the only way I thought I could win. A much faster game of Puppet Wars. I really think it works better in smaller sizes, and larger games tend to get bogged down with cagey play. I should say that Marcus was not the bravest however, since he had 4 stuffed animals in his toy box and never activated himself once.


To finish off the night, we all settled in for some Deathwatch and Dark Heresy. On the agenda, The Angstrom Incident. Wait, what's the Angstrom Incident? Nothing happened at Angstrom. The loyalists acquired the supplies, the secessionists, including Huron himself, were humiliated and sent packing, all without firing a shot or angering the Mechanicus. That's right! We're awesome. We some how managed to role play our way through the whole thing, snagged Huron's chief librarian, totally humiliated Huron, and made Chad cry. He didn't like the no fighting that much. He didn't really cry, but he did pop the librarians head when he returned. Poor choice, personally, but I am beginning to think Wraith's job may be coming to a close. With Arsenic's promotion, he listens less, thinks he knows what he is doing more, and is generally making it dangerous to be near him as he fills full of his power. Wraith knows, she has seen it, she has used it against more than a few men with more power than they actually have. We shall see, how the leash goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment