Sunday, January 27, 2013

TMI: Best of Friends

I played quite a few games this last Saturday. Three of them were Malifaux. Three of them saw Izamu and the Dead Rider team up. Three of them were wins. One of them was even me playing Chaos. I had four great games, and then went into a helper game, where I threw out pointers for Nate and Shaffer as they played through one. One of them even listened.

I am going to start by giving my list. I played the same one in all three games. It was pretty weird, since I seldom play the same list in two consecutive games, let alone three. I ran Leveticus, Izamu, Dead Rider, three Canines, and a Belle. All were 35 soulstone games. Game one was versus Tom. He pulled out Perdita. He ran Perdita, Nino, Enslaved Nephilim, two Wastrels, Fransisco, and Sadir. I had Contain Power, so I took Kill Protege on Sadir, because I knew he would have to die before I could do anything to Perdita because of his master protection program. I also took Breakthrough, knowing Nino would stick in his zone, possibly Perdita, and I would have to head over there. He had Beat Down, and I don't remember his schemes. In this game I took the canines and the belle to out activate, and it worked. I did try to lure Sadir, but that's like luring a Waife. So, he is all gone, I use Dead Rider's mounted combat, combined with his drag along, to snag Izamu for a wound and move him 12" up the board. He then charges Sadir in such a way that he is also in combat with Fransisco, so I can hopefully negate some shooting. I make my attack on Sadir, get high enough to cheat, and drop the red joker. It one shots Sadir. I then turn melee expert on Fransisco, thinking I can hurt him a bit for next turn. I make the hit, cheat a severe, and kill Fransisco. Hmmm. Not the plan I was going for. Didn't matter much though, Izamu is a beast. He laid into Izamu with both Nino and Perdita and still he stood. The Dead Rider took down a Wastrel and he called it. He still had a bit on the table, Perdita, Nino, Enslaved, and a Wastrel, but he said he just shouldn't play anything besides Kirai. So, I got a win.

After that, Tom said if I wanted another game he was up for it, but it would have to be against Kirai. Almost sounded like a threat, but its not like any opponent or master would stop me from playing Malifaux. So, we set up again. I pulled Treasure Hunt, he got Beat Down again. For this one I took Grudge on his Shikome, since she would be coming at me anyway, and Stake a Claim on the bush in the center. He took Kill Protege on the Dead Rider, and Bodyguard Anyway, I ran the same crew, planning to use the dogs to snag the treasure, Izamu and the Dead Rider as a rear guard, and the belle as back up. It started out as planned, I shot Izamu and the Dead Rider up the middle to take up positions. Two dogs got up there to get the treasure start of two. Turn two rolls around, things are still going to plan, a dog gets the treasure, Dead Rider and Izamu kill some stuff, Leve kills some stuff, but he manages to get the dog into combat, so I don't get a point. I killed more, he doesn't get a point. Pretty much stays the same the rest of the game. I can't get out of melee, he can't kill more. He does get a point on turn three. He also kills my dog, but the Belle picks up the treasure. Now I run into the problem that I am out of his melee range, but they are still in the belles 2" range, so still no points. This is the reason the super survivable Izamu didn't get the treasure, its impossible to keep things out of melee with him. Game continues, I can't get any points, he can't kill enough, Izamu takes up a position on the bush, and his melee range commands the middle. Dead Rider died to the Shikome among others, he was in the thick. But then Izamu easily removed the Shikome giving me Grudge. Izamu isn't going anywhere, so I have Stake a Claim. Izamu kills Kirai, so the Lost Love hidden in the back gives his life. He is at five points, I am locked at four. I can't rely on the Treasure, I just can't seem to make it out of all his bodies. I need to kill Kirai. Izamu is busy holding the center and trying to clear the belle, its up to Leve. And as usual Leve delivers. He moves across toward the far right, and lays Kirai out on the first action. That puts me up four to three. He still has some killy, but as long as I can keep the action in the center, he is gonna have a hard time beating Izamu's kill count. Once again, he calls the game. I am up two wins for the day, which hasn't been the way my streak has been going for a while, so I am very happy. And hungry. Tom also calls it a day, so I'm thinking its back to begging games for me, since James didn't bring his stuff. What's up with that?

Turns out I didn't have to do much begging. Troy stepped up to put me in my place. He took Lillith, Tuco, Copellius, a Doppleganger, and an Arcane Effigy. He had Treasure Hunt, I pulled Line in the Sand. I took Frame for Murder on Izamu and Hold Out. He took Kill Protege on the Dead Rider and something else. A third game with the same crew. I looked at it, it was working, and it had the tools I needed to get the job done. It was able to move, it hit fairly hard, and it had a belle to stop his Treasure Grabs. Turn one I sent the duo forward to get rid of Copellius. It worked, REAL well. Turn two, Lillith retaliates against Izamu and drops him to two wounds. My dogs are setup up so that I can use one to activate the far left dynamite, the second then moves out of that three inch pack into the third dogs pack range to activate the second. The third dog moves to the third marker to prepare for next turn. Sweet. Dog one does his job. Tuco kills him. No worries, he was pretty much done anyway. Then Tuco, the ever moving bitch, moves in and unlights my marker. Crap. Dead Rider moves in on the Doppleganger, does some damage, but not enough to kill here. She turns around and kills him with his own weapon. Dirty mimicing hoe. Izamu turns his wrath on the Arcane Effigy. This stumps Troy, seeing how I am in smack range of Lillith, but I need a healing flip, which is too hard to guarantee on Lillith. I get it and heal three, back to five wounds. I try and deal some to Lillith, but nothing. Leve moves over and takes out Tuco. The dogs use their blood ability to move and then get a charge on the Doppleganger, and they eventually take her down. My belle moves up to get a marker. Izamu dies to Lillith, netting me two points. I don't remember if I killed Lillith or not, but I think I did. I burned all of his stones and still had some left. Some rough figuring and I came up with a six to two win to me. Another good game. I really like the Izamu and Dead Rider pair. Its expensive, but unlike the Bette bomb, which is a point more, both are able to stick around and I can count on them beyond the first turn slam.

After failing to tear me down in Malifaux, Troy decided to take another tactic and challenged me to a game of 40K. Being of chaos I had to accept. And thus we began to play out the stupidest rule in the game. OK, so it didn't go quite that way, but he said he did want a game, but the tables were full. I suggested tearing down the board we were on and setting up there. So, we did. I also asked if he wanted to face my untried CSM list or my more better Dual Eldar list. He whined something about not wanting to chase me and I pulled out the CSM. After some discussion about the new infiltrate rule, and some complaining, and probably whining, on my part, we got into it. My list is Lucius and Ahriman, two Noise Marines squads, with the new 5 man FAQ ruling, two 7 man Thousand Sons squads, I had points, a unit of Warp Talons, and two units of three Obliterators. My dice were as hot cold as my cards had been all day, but where I could mitigate the cards, the dice ate my elite army. I charged first turn with the Warp Talons with Lucius(I know now, that cheating) into some termagaunts, and lost one to terrain on the move in. I then did almost no damge, but Lucius's armour went to town. His armour is quite honestly the MVP of the game for me. Big targets, small ones, it didn't matter, I just wasn't bringing any hurt this game. I was however taking it. I don't think I was assaulted by anything but gaunts, but still got mauled. I wounded one of his monstrous creatures. One turn three I decided I HAD to take out his troops, or the was no hope for me. I fired everything in gaunts and tervigons. And everything did nothing. Nothing. Not I didn't do much and I'm going to call it nothing, I mean I did nothing! After that I called it. I was just going to lose models, I only had three scoring units left, he had at least five, and a pregnant tervigon. I was likely to lose my last Noise Marines, one unit of Thousand Sons was never going to make it out of combat, and the were within three inches of the three points scouring objective, too. Lucius might kill his gaunt unit, but a tervigon was slobbering for his face. I called it. I doubt I helped Troy prep for Genghis any.

After that I had planned to play Shaffer some Malifaux, but instead he played Nate, who used my Viks, and I gave them each pointers throughout. It only went three turns, and ended in Nates favour, but had it continued, it wouldn't have gone well for Nate. He wanted to play more conservative with the Viks, and, especially against Rasputina, that's not the course my suggestions ran. Not that many suggestions got through, or made it fully intact, but thats what it is. Shaffer on the other hand, after some help from Troy and I on his deployment, ran a pretty bang up game. He originally set up spread out, which is not a Raspy thing, but after we mentioned this he moved things in a way that set up a pretty impenetrable block with a couple gamin sticking out for teeth. I think if Nate had continued in and hit the block, which I was pushing, Snowstorm would have dealt with it, which I have yet to see. The flip side is that he did a fairly decent job of keeping Raspy back, while he did his strategy, though an Ice Pillar trick on his dynamite was rather dirty. Thank you, I thought of it.It may have ended a lot closer than it actually was, or even with the points the other way. Guess we will never know...

No comments:

Post a Comment