Monday, February 10, 2014

No games, but plenty of painting


I didn't get in any game this week on account of Iron Man Painting, but I did manage to get four models painted, two of which have had me stumped for a while. The four models were Izamu, Joss, Malifaux Child, and my Killjoy proxy. Shots of all the individual models after the break.


First to the painting table was the Malifaux Child. I had originally wanted to get Izamu and Joss done first, both because I wanted to force myself unstuck and because I didn't want to be dead when I started them. But I am weak, so the child instead. I hadn't really had a plan when I started into this one. I had added a curb to my standard Outcast base, because I didn't like the way the Child sat. I think that turned out great. On a whim I started by painting the shirt orange. It was almost a natural progression to get a green jacket. Then I got stuck, and though I railed against it for a bit, ended up going with Shaffer's suggestion for blue jeans. He turned out my brighter than I had planned, but I really like the final product.


Next up, the Ettin turned Malifaux Killjoy. This guy came with two heads and two clubs. I decided to keep the heads, but the clubs had to go in order to replace them with Killjoy's signature armaments. For more info on the conversion, check my last post. I had started trying to match the skin of the original, but it just wasn't working for me. As you can see, I ended up with a green instead. At one point I had a very brown fur on him, but that drowned out the model, so I added a dry brush of parasite brown and the extra orange really helped.


With my "other" models out of the way, and having either my stumpers or Infinity models to paint, I finally broke my block and went with the easier of the two remaining Malifaux models, Joss. I had decided a little earlier in the night(morning?)that I was going to go with the blue axe blades over a metal version. After that it was just finishing up the basic colors. He was WAY easier to finish off than I had been letting myself think he would be.



On to the main event. With it being down to Infinity or Izamu, it was easy to pull out Izamu. Here I started with the things I knew how I was going to paint. Specifically the metal. Once I started him, I don't think I ever really put him down for long. He flowed fairly well, but not so much linearly. For instance, I started on metallics but also finished on them, with his Bisento being the final thing I painted. I am really happy with how his horns turned out, though I think it will probably be part of the model that gets mostly ignored. The blade on the Bisento actually even has a Hamon, which I had trouble making, but shows really well on the finished model. Likely only if you are looking for it though. The armor with its metallic and enameled parts really works. The OSL on everything, save the face, came out really well. I am still not sure the face is quite as good. I am planning on entering him on Saturday at the Genghiscon Paint Competition, so we shall see how that goes down. I think I have a better chance with him than Steampunk Dorothy, because he will be in the Large Miniature(monster) category, which isn't as hotly contested as the small miniature(standard models) is.I still plan to enter both, though, just to see how I do. I won't be able to make the ceremony though, and my send Shaffer down while I stay for 40K, just to see if I win anything. It would be nice to be able to say I am an award winning painter, or that the next Iron Man has two such painters. I don't hold my hopes terribly high though.
For once, I would be okay with being wrong.

Hope to see you all at the con, look me up on Friday night for some Malifaux, or maybe I will just see you from behind the desk at either the 40K or Malifaux tournaments I will be running Saturday and Sunday.

2 comments: