Friday, June 13, 2014

Accidently Unbound


So, I manage to get in another game versus my new "regular opponent" Shea. This time it was his Orks versus my Night Lords. Bom bom bom. After some thought about how 7th has changed some things and the effect on my Night Lords force, I decided they could be fun and even functional this edition. It will take more testing, and I have to make some changes, but after this game, I am hopeful for a chaos come back.

I thought I was bringing a battle forged force, but a day or two after, it occurred to me that I was, in fact, not. I was allying CSM with Black Legion, which is now a no no. I didn't end up using any of the battle forged bonuses, so it didn't actually come to cheating, but I would have had they come up, so...
He gave me first turn after deploying, which was a good choice, because I wanted to charge his over reaching Orks on turn one. We were playing The Relic on Hammer and Anvil. Thank the gods I didn't bring Eldar. I still flew my princes forward to the edge of his zone, but away from his Nobs. The Rhinos moved up 6" and lobbed plasma down field. Rather than go through every time it happened, let me just state now that my Plasma was LETHAL! To the guys holding them. They did plenty of damage to Orks, sure, but I think I got hot 6+ times and lost 3 or 4 Chosen to the guns. My VIPs were the Heldrakes. They are much harder to manuever with out the WTF FAQ from last edition, and I even hovered them for about half the game, but they were super effective. The Daemon Princes took it to the face at the end of two, when his Dakka Jets came on, but it left my Heldrakes mostly unmolested, which left them free to molest his army, proper style. I managed to get First Blood, and we both pulled out Slay the Warlord. He could have gotten Line Breaker easy, but moved the Boyz back to try and secure the Relic, but they were just way to far. In the end, my Heldrakes hovered to block access to the Relic, which left it completely uncontrolled, since the Drakes dies. Which brought it to secondaries, and First Blood won the day.

Another great game. It opened my eyes a bit to what all I could do in the new edition. I have dropped the Cultists and the Mace, the first for uselessness, the second for a Battle Forged force. I would like to add another unit for the 100 points I have to spend. Maybe a Helbrute, just to be silly. I am also looking to drop three Jetbikes from my Eldar list, and adding in three Reavers. A 3+ Jink, with no real guns, running over people all day and being scoring? Sounds good to me.

My new found excitement over my Nightlords has led to some progress on my Heldrake. See, 7th is awesome all around. So, look for some hobby progress either this weekend or early next week. Until then, happy nailing babies to helmets, all.

No comments:

Post a Comment