Monday, August 11, 2014

Malifaux master spread


I managed to pull not one, but two games of Malifaux this last Saturday. The first was versus Patrick's Gremlins with Leveticus, the second was versus Mike S's Jacob Lynch with Tara. This means that in my last three games of Malifaux I have used three different masters. This is ironic for me, since Second Edition moved towards making everyone able to use a single master, which to me broke some of the nuance of the system, but whatever. Yet, personally, I am spreading my master love more than ever before. But enough random thoughts, on to the games!


My list:
Leveticus - Pariah of Bone, Desolate Soul, To the Earth Return
2 Waifes
Ashes and Dust - Scramble
Necropunk
3 Punk Zombies
Rotten Belle


His List(was something like this):
Ulix - Husbandry and Hunting Bow
Old Major - Quality Mash Liquor and Corn Husk
Penelope
The Sow
Slop Hauler
Hog Whisperer
3x Piglets

Strategy: Reconnoiter
Schemes: Sand, Protect Territory, Body Guard, Plant Explosives, Power Ritual
I took Power Ritual(revealed) and Plant Explosives. He took Sand(revealed) and Power Ritual(revealed).


I deployed first, mostly to my left, but with a Necropunk on my far right for Ritual. He deployed across from my main force. We moved up turn one, I think he went a little to far. He tried to use a piglet to block Ashes, but that just became a Abomination. I made as if I had Line in the Sand, though I don't think it mattered as he was coming anyway. He clustered hard at the end of turn two, making some of my scheme drop actions wasted from the beginning of the turn, since one marker got 3 or 4 models. None the less, I had 3vp from Explosives, 1vp from Ritual, and 1vp from Reconnoiter at the end of two.


On three I ended up turning the Ashes and Dust back towards center, having an Abomination on that side that could delete his Power Ritual there. The Necropunk continued towards the other corner, which would give me full for Power Ritual. He had a piglet in my left corner, which dropped a marker, but it was unlikely he could get across to my other corner in the turns left, and I was blocking his corners. I hadn't done a terrible amount of permanent damage to his crew, as they kept healing, but I was able to convert a few piglets to my cause.

At the beginning of four he called it. I think he could have made a game of it, but from his side I'm sure it just looked like he was spawning piglets for me to turn into Abominations. The Punk Zombies did everything I wanted them to. I think they really turned the tide. They stick around pretty well, and versus a large group or individual models they do really well. I think they may struggle against small groups, which don't take as much from Slice and Dice, but can still give them the hits. I think they may become a mainstay in my Leve vs Gremlins lists. Though, I'm not sure I need all three.

Next up was my Tara crew versus Mike S's Jakob Lynch.
My crew:
Tara - Dead of Winter, Knowledge of Eternity, Obliteration Symbiote
Desolation Engine
Nothing Beast
Death Marshal
3 Void Wretchs
Malifaux Child


He ran:
Lynch
Hungering Darkness
The Illuminated
Fuhatsu
2 Beckoners
The Depleted
Mr Graves
Mr Tannen
I think he ended dropping the Illuminated, as he was over points, but can't remember what he dropped.

Strategy - Squatter's Rights
Schemes - Sand, Frame for Murder, Breakthrough, Vendetta, Assassinate
I took Frame for Murder of the DE and Vendetta Nothing Beast vs Fahatsu, he took Frame on Hungering Darkness and Assassinate.


Early game was all about me pushing forward, holding him back. I put the DE right up in there, going for early Frame and dropping those ever so annoying Abominations. By turn two I think I had four Squatter's markers. On turn three we both obliged each others Frame for Murder, though I used an enforcer, so held him back a point.


On turn four I took down Fahatsu with the Nothing Beast, but had to bury Tara so that I could heal her a little, keeping things going for later. I also managed to kill most of his crew, including Lynch.


After which he whined about his perfect Lynch hand being a terrible, non-Lynch hand. He did manage to push forward, flipping a couple markers his way, and got Squatter's Rights points on turn five. As it was, I had full Squatter's, full Vendetta, and full Frame for Murder. He had one for Squatter's, two for Frame for Murder, and my unknowing saving of Tara led to zero for Assassinate. Much like the last game, Mike is focusing on his crew still, working on how they work, while I am running a very familiar crew and am able to focus on my points. He did much better this game, and as he gets more comfortable with his crew I think he will be able to turn his eye to points. Also, he is getting in games, which is something he hasn't really done before, so that should help. As for myself, I am also getting in games and getting to really understand and play to the schemes and strategy. This means that I might actually stand a chance in a tournament, now that I have an inkling of whats going on.

One can hope, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment