Friday, January 30, 2015

Marie-Claude takes on dual Relic Knights

On Saturday, during the early stages of Iron Man a couple of guys from Gryphons showed up who play Relic Knights. Another guy, who plays DzC also showed up, but he left before I got my lazy butt around to setting up a table for that. The two Relic Knights guys threw down against each other while I meandered and painted Mouslings. At the end of their game, after they grabbed food, I managed to convince them to play me in a three way free for all. I also told them I didn't care if they ran Relic Knights, and actually encouraged it. I am not sure that Questing Knights are completely unplayable in that situation, just as I am not sure Marie-Claude is the junk everyone claims. Either way, we threw down.

I was running my everything, plus ten points of boosts. This meant Marie and Esmee, Bells, Pit Crew, Wrecker, and a Pacer. I had a Condensor, Darkfield, armor, and Medkit for boosts. They were running stuff, but I can say Corsairs behind Calico Kate and Noh behind Kasaro To. I set up Marie to go first, then Wrecker, then the Pacer. I drew my hand, and saw zero Law or Creation. Crap, I am in trouble. Marie can't place her speed boost, and, as I had pushed back the Wrecker, she was in no place to reach the Corsair main. Plus the Corsair player had countered by placing Kate nearby. I probably should mention I had Heist and Carnage, plus the Void mission was in there.

So, I pushed the Wrecker forward anyway, dropping a Crash Site on the way over, hoping to dissuade attacks. However, the end of activation is an issue, since I get slapped, then whatever just walks away.

The Pacer went next and was just as awesome as I had expected. It started by dropping an Oil Slick on my Primary, since the Noh also had Heist. This meant that, until his Cypher squashed it, he couldn't approach my Primary. I had added the Bells into the queue, planning to bring some pain. However, the Noh player is also a Cerci player who values his Bells greatly. Thus, they were target number one. He shot at them, and I was able to use my Feint ability to ignore the attack, but he followed up with a Psychic Compel, which I couldn't use Feint against. He used this to run all three into a wall. So, all three took damage. And he had an AoE nearby that increased damage taken by 2. In the end, each Bell took 5 damage and made greasy smudges on the wall. I don't think I have ever experienced new model syndrome quite as harshly.

Well, okay then, I guess it is time to do what a Wrecker does best, swipe an Objective. And then get blasted, hard. I took a couple hits, but was able to use Marie and the Pit Crew to bring the Wrecker back up to full.

However, this just elicited more concentrated attacks, and so the Wrecker fell. But not before she was able to move the Objective to where the Pacer could get it, without fear of punches, since Kate was too large to follow. I probably should have placed my Pacer between the building and the objective, but I was scared. I should also mention that all of the terrain was Windowed, Protection 2. So, basically zero LoS blocking.

I dropped an armor buff near the Pacer, just in case, and proceeded to grab and drop Heist markers until I grabbed that and Lap Time. the Corsair player was on his third deck, and was a bit shocked that I was using so few cards. That is what support actions are for.

Before I could start to do the Void Condition, Kate moved into the way, basically blocking the Pacer. But, with the Primary finished, and the Noh slightly behind on theirs, I could use the Pacer just to keep the Slick up.

At this point, I am largely lost. With both the Bells and the Wrecker gone, I am a little light on smashing power. My only options are face Kate for her Primary, or a small horde of Noh for theirs for the Void Condition, or some how find a way to kill a model. Seeming to sense my inability or just indecision, they mostly left me alone and preceded to beat on each other. I couldn't blame them. They each had a Destruction point off of me, plus the Noh had one from the Corsairs. The Corsairs were working on Realign, and my own Primary had a nuisance Oil Slick. The Noh were stuck outside the same slick.

So, I just watched, relegated to once again being just one freaking point away from a win. Then the Corsair player started talking smack about a Serpent Priestess that would die next activation, and the Noh player stating that he could heal first. It then occurred to me, that maybe now was the time for Cerci to show their speed and swoop in for a win. With Marie-Claude next to activate, I was damn near giddy. I had to wander over and chat with the painters, so as to not give myself away. And then...

Blam. from clear across the field. I didn't even bother to use my held esper or draw my cards for the shot. I had everything in my hand. I had just one my first ever game of Relic Knights. And I had done it with Marie-Claude versus not one, but two Relic Knights.

I know that some will say that it doesn't count, since the Relic Knights were off fighting each other, but I am sure as hell going to take it.

Well, I'm off. I have a tourney to run tomorrow, a test game for my SDE after that, and maybe a Relic Knights game shoved in there somewhere. Oh, and I want to finish my Pacer so I can varnish him before I go tomorrow.

So much to do, I may even sleep.... Nah.

No comments:

Post a Comment