Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Ogres stomp some rats

We are setting an uncomfortable precedent here. I only managed to get in one game, and it was Fantasy. That isn't completely true, I was able to clear a single room in Myth, but I plan to post about that game later. Anyway, on to the Cursed Game.


I played Shea with his Skaven menace. We were running 1k, because that is still all I own of Ogres. We rolled up the Pass scenario, and I deployed first, hoping to sway his placement. He had one less unit than I did, so either way, he would have +1 to the go first roll. It didn't matter, I rolled a 1 anyway. I deployed to my right, while he split deployed, mostly to his right, with the Doom Wheel deployed on his left, directly facing my Ogres. He had two large blocks of Skaven, one with spears, the other hand weapons and shields. My goal was to face them one at a time, using the Gnoblars as bait/distraction to keep the other unit elsewhere. The Doom Wheel rolled up and made for a mild annoyance, but I was able to deal with it, only losing to wounds on my Bulls. My Ironblaster and Leadbelchers were not terribly effective, though the Belchers did see the Wheel off. As I moved in, he lined up a charge, which I blocked on one side by moving my Gnoblars in the way, then charged the other unit. I did middling damage, and I think he may have broke, but either way, I eventually took down the spears(even with Parry rolls, oops). In the meantime, he had charged my Gnoblars, who promptly fled, luring his Hand Weapon block past my Ogres, forcing a reform to attack, and giving me the turn to prep, and possibly charge first. However, he needed to roll a 10+ to run into my Ironblaster, and of course rolled an 11. I can't remember if I lost my Ironblaster, or it might have just run, either way it would set me up for rear charge on his rats, which did not end well. I think this was turn four, but he called it then. I was sitting fairly strong, had nabbed banners, killed his warlord, and the spears were fleeing, I believe. Anyway, he scooped. A good game and another win, so looking pretty good. I won't likely be playing Fantasy again this weekend, I have a request to play some 40k.

I think my winning move was that for the first two turns, I just maneuvered. I didn't charge until I was sure to have it, and him. Sort of choosing the battlefield, so to speak. I have found that the easiest way to beat an Ogre player is to get him to rush in. They tend to spread or over extend, leaving huge openings to get the flank charge and swing things your way. Believe it or not, but I am saying that the Ogres take a bit of finesse. It is that finesse that I am really enjoying. Plus nobody is bringing any real magic, so that jury is still out.

Until next week, painting and stuffs.

No comments:

Post a Comment